What kind of baby tortoise is in this video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I am thinking desert tortoise, but I wanted to say sulcata but I don't see any pronounced leg spurs. So I am sticking with a desert def not a russian. and does not look like greek or herman to me.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
That was really cute, but not suprising. They do come toward you when they see or hear you. That was a nice little set up they had. I would guess desert also.

M

Maggie Cummings

I'd say desert tort too. Any tort will come to people he thinks are going to feed him. I believe it's visual not audio. He saw his people and came out to be fed...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Another vote for Desert Tortoise.

I ring a cowbell to call Jennifer to her feeding, and Ophelia's beginning to figure out the routine, too. Tortoises are smart! :p

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
terry allen..
if you ever loose them... i wonder if they will come home to the bell...
dont test it... but Im curious...

lots of negative comments on the video.. .... and im surprised people are so thrilled... its nice, but anything will go to the food gods..

Mary Ellen

5 Year Member
Mary Ellen said:
I saw this cute video on You Tube of a baby tortoise coming when being called. I'd like to know what kind do you think he is? A hermann's, russian, greek or something else. I'm anxious to read your replies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTpgqgfJs4w

Thanks for all the quick responses, and I agree, after comparing pictures, that it does look like a desert tortoise. I never would have known that without your help. I love this forum!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Laura said:
terry allen..
if you ever loose them... i wonder if they will come home to the bell...
dont test it... but Im curious...

lots of negative comments on the video.. .... and im surprised people are so thrilled... its nice, but anything will go to the food gods..

Pretty sure Jennifer will...she DOES like her dinner! We let her roam the backyard from time to time, and she rarely strays far, and if I want to go in suddenly, the cowbell brings her a-trotting. :p

Ophelia may be as well-trained by the time I've had her for a year, too.

Tortoises are pretty smart and quickly learn "chow signals". :)

Whenever I get our video camera fixed (or replaced), I'll video her coming to the bell, for y'all's amusement..

Status
Not open for further replies.