Well, well, well, what did we find here then ?

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern part of Sweden
I nearly have to introduce myself, cos it's been far too long since I posted something here...

Was cleaning out both of my large indoor enclosures during the weekend, and it's always exciting to see how many eggs I've missed to put in the incubator. The females can be very secret and discreet sometimes.

But what I have noticed in recent years is that the eggs I've missed, especially in the top of my two big terrariums, often hatch the natural way there. This most probably is caused by the fact that heat from the lower one makes the bottom substrate to be warm enough for the eggs to be developed ?

The strange thing in this context, common to all the ones hatched naturally, is that they become very dark ! The carapace is very dark (black) and almost completely lack the typical yellow spots and head and limbs doesn't become red but more dark purple. It happens every time, and this must be at least number 12-15 so far. Has anyone got any theory why this happens ?

So what I found when I emptied the top terrarium was actually four eggs with fully developed hatchlings on the way out ! Thirsty were those little ones and weighed between 23 -34 grams :)

It's great to be back ;)

/MikeHatchling1.jpg Hatchling2.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I nearly have to introduce myself, cos it's been far too long since I posted something here...

Was cleaning out both of my large indoor enclosures during the weekend, and it's always exciting to see how many eggs I've missed to put in the incubator. The females can be very secret and discreet sometimes.

But what I have noticed in recent years is that the eggs I've missed, especially in the top of my two big terrariums, often hatch the natural way there. This most probably is caused by the fact that heat from the lower one makes the bottom substrate to be warm enough for the eggs to be developed ?

The strange thing in this context, common to all the ones hatched naturally, is that they become very dark ! The carapace is very dark (black) and almost completely lack the typical yellow spots and head and limbs doesn't become red but more dark purple. It happens every time, and this must be at least number 12-15 so far. Has anyone got any theory why this happens ?

So what I found when I emptied the top terrarium was actually four eggs with fully developed hatchlings on the way out ! Thirsty were those little ones and weighed between 23 -34 grams :)

It's great to be back ;)

/MikeView attachment 158342 View attachment 158343
Very nice and interesting. Have you grown any that were naturally incubated to an adult age?

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
Very nice and interesting. Have you grown any that were naturally incubated to an adult age?

No, actually I haven't. But I made a deal with one of the previous buyers that she should keep me updated on the growing and coloration. My plan this time is to keep one of them. Since the smallest one had some problems with one of his eye, and also have oddly shaped anal scutes, I decided to keep that one. The eye seems to be much better already :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
No, actually I haven't. But I made a deal with one of the previous buyers that she should keep me updated on the growing and coloration. My plan this time is to keep one of them. Since the smallest one had some problems with one of his eye, and also have oddly shaped anal scutes, I decided to keep that one. The eye seems to be much better already :)
Dont know if I am imagining it or not, but not only are they darker, the scutes look different some how.
Do you have an incubated juvenile to compare too with a photo for us. :D

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well spotted, one of them has actually got a missing scute on top, "hawkeye" ;)
Ha. No Hawkeye here. I didn't see that at first. :mad:
I was thinking they just look different in general. The scute texture and the boarders between scutes look different. I may be imagining it. Need to see a comparison photo. :D

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
Thats crazy. Can the egg absorb nutrients from the soil?
Is there plant life near the nest? Is there worms in the soil?
Personally I'd raise them to yearlings to see what happens.

I couldn't agree more ! The substrate I use is what we call "peat mold" or "peat moss". It is pure natural without any additives. We used to have it for our horses, and you can buy it here for nothing in a compressed bale. The advantage is that it absorbs the urine and removes the smell and also keep the humidity as well. I've used it for years.

And I do not have any plants in the soil, as they eat EVERYTHING that's green, so I have to have my plants either on shelves or in hanging baskets.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I couldn't agree more ! The substrate I use is what we call "peat mold" or "peat moss". It is pure natural without any additives. We used to have it for our horses, and you can buy it here for nothing in a compressed bale. The advantage is that it absorbs the urine and removes the smell and also keep the humidity as well. I've used it for years.

And I do not have any plants in the soil, as they eat EVERYTHING that's green, so I have to have my plants either on shelves or in hanging baskets.I
I wonder if over time and exposure to the sun they will become bleached to the lighter colours we consider to be normal.
charcoal reds. ;)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Howmany adult laying females do you have?
Could it be that one of females has darker juveniles?

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
Howmany adult laying females do you have?
Could it be that one of females has darker juveniles?

In that particular enclosure, I have one male and three females, and I cannot say that they are much different. Maybe one of them get slightly less red ones, but it is nothing that I have thought of before. And we have discussed this at home. The first time it happened, it was during the late summer. All the adults were outdoors and I was in chock, since when I came in and opened the enclosure there was this hatchling just sitting there and looked at me. It was so dark that I could hardly see it sitting in the substrate. My first thought was "where did that one come from" ? It was very dry and the yolk sac was fully absorbed. All lightning, heat and rainsystems were turned off since they all were outside, but that summer was very warm for Sweden, so I reckon that was why it managed to develop.

That is also an interesting thing to notice, how long does it actually take for the hatchings to dig themselves up to surface ? I mean they must struggle a lot, first to break through the egg shell and then start digging. And it must take them days, since they all have had nearly no yolk sac left or completely absorbed. Very dry and very thirsty they all have been... One time there was three and I also found the hole that they came up through, it was the same hole for all three of them !

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
In that particular enclosure, I have one male and three females, and I cannot say that they are much different. Maybe one of them get slightly less red ones, but it is nothing that I have thought of before. And we have discussed this at home. The first time it happened, it was during the late summer. All the adults were outdoors and I was in chock, since when I came in and opened the enclosure there was this hatchling just sitting there and looked at me. It was so dark that I could hardly see it sitting in the substrate. My first thought was "where did that one come from" ? It was very dry and the yolk sac was fully absorbed. All lightning, heat and rainsystems were turned off since they all were outside, but that summer was very warm for Sweden, so I reckon that was why it managed to develop.

That is also an interesting thing to notice, how long does it actually take for the hatchings to dig themselves up to surface ? I mean they must struggle a lot, first to break through the egg shell and then start digging. And it must take them days, since they all have had nearly no yolk sac left or completely absorbed. Very dry and very thirsty they all have been... One time there was three and I also found the hole that they came up through, it was the same hole for all three of them !
So was this year the 1st time you had the dark juveniles from the substrate?