Tortoises won't eat

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
They are juveniles i suppose (6 inches). Does this make any difference?

I don't think so. Conditions would apply no mater how old they are. And, if you bought them from a pet store, chances are, they were not hibernating last year either. Listen to Tom and bring them inside. He knows what he's talking about. He raised Russians and lives in California too.

Tortoisek

I don't think so. Conditions would apply no mater how old they are. And, if you bought them from a pet store, chances are, they were not hibernating last year either. Listen to Tom and bring them inside. He knows what he's talking about. He raised Russians and lives in California too.
I bought them from underground reptiles. I guess I will go ahead and bring them inside. Thanks guys. But lets say if i were to leave them out will they hibernate? Or if i were to stop the hibernation how would I do it?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My tort doesn't hibernate but I understand from reading about other species that you have to prepare them properly for hibernation make sure they are hydrated and the correct weight etc., so if you are new to tort keeping I would take this year to get to know all about your torts and keep them safe by housing indoors with uvb etc. and then follow the advice of very experienced keepers like Tom next year. Better safe than sorry!
To stop them hibernating I think you would have to keep them warm with heat sources such as mercury vapour bulbs for heat, light and essential uvb, and maybe ceramic heat emitters on thermostats for night heat if its needed in your part of the world.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You could bring them in at night and put them back out during the warm days. This way you wouldn't need a whole indoor setup, just a container for them to sleep in. If your house doesn't get below 60 you wouldn't even need night time heat for them.
Just remember though, that while outsid during the day, they still need to warm up past 85-90 degrees to properly digest their food. This is where you might need to set up a heat source outside for those days it doesn't get warm enough.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You could bring them in at night and put them back out during the warm days. This way you wouldn't need a whole indoor setup, just a container for them to sleep in. If your house doesn't get below 60 you wouldn't even need night time heat for them.
Just remember though, that while outsid during the day, they still need to warm up past 85-90 degrees to properly digest their food. This is where you might need to set up a heat source outside for those days it doesn't get warm enough.
I second this. A box indoors is sufficient if only pulling them in for the night

Some of these ideas might help for daytime basking
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

Mr Buster

Reno NV
I would say the average winter time temp in Sacramento is mid 40s. In the summer it would be mid 50s, sometimes they will even remain in the 70s.

I don't know under what circumstances they hibernate. My guess is if you put them in the garage in a 50 gallon plastic tote with uv and heat lamp they won't hibernate in the temps in Sacramento. Insulate the sides though.

I liked this article I found here http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Russian-Tortoise/