New Greek tortoise won't eat?

Location (City and/or State)
Parker, Arizona
Hello everyone I'm Brianna and my new Greek tortoise I just got about 3 days hasn't been eating. He's a baby and he sleeps 90% of the day as expected and he sniffs his food but won't nibble he ate before I got him but won't eat anymore help? He seems normal on the outside nothing wrong he's going good, soaking good, drinking even but just won't eat. He has a nice spacious habitat and is the only one in there. Advice?

Parker, Arizona
Hello, I'm Brianna. I have a baby Greek tortoise that I just got 3 days ago he ate the day I got him but won't eat now? He has a spacious reptile aquarium with a cool side and a warm side, food is out and changed daily even misted to retain moisture so it doesn't dry out on him, he's soaking good, sleeping good, drinking good, everything is good. He sleeps 90% of the day as expected and I don't stand at the front of him when he's out so he can get adjusted. Thank you. :tort:

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Hi Brianna,
Many torts take time to get used to their new surroundings. They often wouldn't eat for several days when moved to a new home. Make sure he/she stays hydrated. How are the temperatures in the enclosure?
Also if you want more specific suggestions, please post a photo of the enclosure with the info in core temperatures, soaking and diet. ;)

Parker, Arizona
This was the first day he now has a hide and a food dish in there but it's a really spacy reptile aquarium his cool side is 70 and his warm side is 95 his diet right now is romiane lettuce, baby spinach, kale, raspberries, and an occasional tomato

20161215_175809.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Parker, Arizona
Thank you everyone I'm currently at work but I'm going to check on Hershel once I get home grandma said he's being active which means he could have ate while I'm out

Thank you so much and I'll definitely read about the newbie mistakes and newbie forums when I get home I used to be a guest here and read most of those as a past time

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Brianna:

I'm pretty sure Hershel is a Russian tortoise, not a Greek. And the enclosure you have him in is way too small for a full grown tortoise, such as he is. Once you get the hiding place, food and water containers and a few plants, there's no room for him to walk around. Walking over great distances, something they're hard wired to do, helps them maintain a healthy digestive system.

He's probably hiding all the time because he's stressed about being in such a small, wide open space.

Also, that tortoise isn't a baby. He's almost full grown. I'd guess about 10 years or so.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just re-read my post above and I'm thinking I came across as pretty accusatory. I'm sorry it sounds that way. I'm only trying to help you take better care of Hershel. I don't mean to sound so know-it-all and pushy.

Parker, Arizona
I'm planning on getting him a 75 gallon till I can afford something better

He's currently eating and roaming a lot he has a new hideaway and everything but I'll be sure to go bigger thank you @Yvonne and @tigysdad

Parker, Arizona
I just re-read my post above and I'm thinking I came across as pretty accusatory. I'm sorry it sounds that way. I'm only trying to help you take better care of Hershel. I don't mean to sound so know-it-all and pushy.

It's alright I appreciate the concern I'm just trying to do my best for him the place I got him had him labled wrong it seems I thought something was off but don't worry I'm planning on a bigger tub anyways I just got Jessiah and Hershel some new bedding coco coir and sphagnum moss with no other ingredients than 100% sphagnum moss when I get my next check I'm planning on a bigger heat lamp and a 75 gallon tank however for now I let him roam the house with the heat on so he doesn't get too cold I'm also still planning a vet visit for Hershel and Jess by saving up my paychecks (they go to an expensive vet only because if needed they can have on the spot surgery and I need that kind of relief) I just bought a humidifier for Jessiah and I'm gonna get Hershel one too

domagoj

5 Year Member
Croatia
It's alright I appreciate the concern I'm just trying to do my best for him the place I got him had him labled wrong it seems I thought something was off but don't worry I'm planning on a bigger tub anyways I just got Jessiah and Hershel some new bedding coco coir and sphagnum moss with no other ingredients than 100% sphagnum moss when I get my next check I'm planning on a bigger heat lamp and a 75 gallon tank however for now I let him roam the house with the heat on so he doesn't get too cold I'm also still planning a vet visit for Hershel and Jess by saving up my paychecks (they go to an expensive vet only because if needed they can have on the spot surgery and I need that kind of relief) I just bought a humidifier for Jessiah and I'm gonna get Hershel one too
You really shouldn't let your tort walk around the house. There's a lot of things that can happen to him. Someone could step on him, he's away from his humidity, uvb and heat. He could also eat something like hair or a small object. In my personal opinion he's better off in a small tank until you get him a bigger enclosure. I don't know if someone else told you but his substrate looks really dry. Try pouring in some water and mix it with your hands to make it evenly damp.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Briana:

I second domagoj's opinion about allowing a tortoise out on the floor.

But I really wanted to tell you to not bother spending money on a humidifier for Hershel. Adult Russian tortoises don't require that much humidity and you'd be wasting your money.

Parker, Arizona
Hi Briana:

I second domagoj's opinion about allowing a tortoise out on the floor.

But I really wanted to tell you to not bother spending money on a humidifier for Hershel. Adult Russian tortoises don't require that much humidity and you'd be wasting your money.
I'm sorry for all the mess ups everyone I'm just trying my best but I appreciate all of your concern and it's not falling on deaf ears I'm buying Hershel a better enclosure for sure but is 120cm x 61 cm enough for him? Sorry for the question I just don't wanna waste any money and all help is appreciated

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
He's a Russian.
They wander vast territories in nature, are very active and need space.
An 8 foot by 4 foot enclosure would be considered an absolute minimum.