My Russian Tortoise won't eat, and poop.

Truman Holt

Its around January and it's pretty cold. My Russian Tortoise hasn't been eating and pooping since around Halloween. I think its because of the weather and Hibernation. I know I haven't Hibernated him properly because its my first year having a Russian Tortoise. I keep his lights and soak him like I did in the summer. He won't eat, and won't poop even though I soak him from 20-30 minutes. I had him since July and he was acting fine in before it got cold. I would take him out, play with him, feed him and let him go to the bathroom. Now he all he does is sleep, and he even won't get up for food or anything! Please leave suggestions ASAP!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
He's probably trying to hibernate, Truman. Please show us pictures of your lights and habitat.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Your tortoise is probably too cold, they're endothermic when they are cold they don't eat and they're inactive what are your temperatures?

Truman Holt

Its around 80 degrees under his lamp, and cooler around it. I was told in a pet store what voltage to get, and thats what wattage to use for the height the lamp is.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
if your basking spot is 80 degrees that's too cool and you should make it much warmer if you don't want you tortoise to slowly waste away.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Welcome to the Tortoise Forum Truman! This is where people come and then realize that pet stores rarely know what they are talking about when it comes to tortoises.

The above advice is fantastic. 80 for a basking spot is much too cool. Aim for 95-100. You might be able to achieve that with a 75w or you may need to go up to a 100w. It depends on a whole list of environmental factors. The important thing is getting that basking spot up higher.