Tortoises on planes?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Can smaller tortoises, like 2 Russians, fly in the cargo section on planes (like cats and dogs do)?

I'm asking because a friend knows someone who is moving to California and trying to get rid of her 2 Russians because her parents said they "can't" go. Her backup plan was :eek: to turn them loose, but another friend will take them temporarily if it comes down to that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. You can ship them like cargo.

They can't be carried on the plane in the passenger compartment, but she can safely box them up and ship them either cargo on her same flight, or as excess baggage. She should check with her airline about any specific requirements, but we ship animals all over the country this way regularly. I just had two giant leopard tortoises shipped to me in dog crates last June. An 18" and a 19incher, both female and 17 years old. No problem.

What part of CA is she coming too? If this is a friend of yours, I don't mind helping. She can pre-ship them a day or two early and I can baby sit for a couple of days. If she doesn't mind reimbursing me, I can also set up a couple of enclosures for her, so they are ready for move in. Just plug and play. I like setting up new tortoise enclosures, so it would be fun for me.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Yes. You can ship them like cargo.

They can't be carried on the plane in the passenger compartment, but she can safely box them up and ship them either cargo on her same flight, or as excess baggage. She should check with her airline about any specific requirements, but we ship animals all over the country this way regularly. I just had two giant leopard tortoises shipped to me in dog crates last June. An 18" and a 19incher, both female and 17 years old. No problem.

What part of CA is she coming too? If this is a friend of yours, I don't mind helping. She can pre-ship them a day or two early and I can baby sit for a couple of days. If she doesn't mind reimbursing me, I can also set up a couple of enclosures for her, so they are ready for move in. Just plug and play. I like setting up new tortoise enclosures, so it would be fun for me.
Tom, you are SO SWEET!!! :)

I don't actually know this girl at all. My neighbor teaches middle school, and the girl is in 8th grade. She's had the tortoises for 2 years. I understand her parents are quite wealthy.
My neighbor is going to get more details from the girl Monday. They won't be moving until the end of the school year.