Can someone rescue a hermann tortoise in the toronto area ASAP?

gtc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
I don't know if I have posted this in the right section.

I will be visiting my parents in Toronto tomorrow and will be staying for 2 weeks. My family knows someone who has kept a hermann tort for 1.5 years without UVB. From what my family tells me the people want to give away the tort to someone who can take better care of it. They think the tort is about 2-3 years old and they say the shell is smooth, (not pyramiding).

I cannot take the tort myself because I live in Norway and taking torts on planes is not easy. Also my parents are not interested in keeping pets. I hope there is someone here from the Toronto area that is interested in rescuing a tort.

jax7271

10 Year Member!
Ontario, Canada
I am not too far from Toronto and could probably take it in...please let me know some details...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey folks: I'm always reading how hard tortoises are to come by in Canada. So where are all you Canadians who have trouble finding tortoises? Here's one for free. come on!!!

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
I'm only 45 mins from TO but don't have the room right now. Boo.

Two kids, One husband, One Hines57, One Leopard Tortoise, and a room at the sanitarium lol

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
jax7271 said:
I am not too far from Toronto and could probably take it in...please let me know some details...

Hi, I replied to your pm. Take a look :)

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Good news :) jax7271 will be adopting the tort. I will meet her tomorrow. This forum is wonderful and has helped so many torts :)

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Great news

Two kids, One husband, One Hines57, One Leopard Tortoise, and a room at the sanitarium lol

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Yay!

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM] & Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] (Darwin & Wallace)
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

jax7271

10 Year Member!
Ontario, Canada
I picked up the little guy yesterday and he is eating and enjoying getting some UVB :)
It is 41 grams and only 6cm long...a little small for 2-3 years I think, but I don't know Hermanns as well as red foots...lol (don't worry, I know their environments are quite different as I did my homework before pick up). I'll try to post pics in a new thread as soon as I can as I'm not totally sure of which subspecies...carapace is light green-yellow and black...2 very strong black bars on plastern and the skin is quite light on front feet...has yellow cheek marks and split back scute....any help or information from hermann folks would be greatly appreciated.... :)

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Jax7271, can't wait to see the little one. Are you east gta?

Jax7271, can't wait to see the little one. Are you east gta?

jax7271

10 Year Member!
Ontario, Canada
No, I am west....I find the city a little frustrating; I stopped to pick up the tort for maybe 5 mins and got a $40.00 parking ticket... :(

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
jax7271 said:
No, I am west....I find the city a little frustrating; I stopped to pick up the tort for maybe 5 mins and got a $40.00 parking ticket... :(

I hear ya. The city makes me crazy when I have to drive downtown. Parking is always a nightmare. That ticket sucks, sorry for that bit of bad luck. At least it's minimal. Had one for $150 last year.

Going to go look and see if you have posted a new thread yet about your new tort, can't wait to see

Have you thought of a name?

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
jax7271 said:
I picked up the little guy yesterday and he is eating and enjoying getting some UVB :)
It is 41 grams and only 6cm long...a little small for 2-3 years I think, but I don't know Hermanns as well as red foots...lol (don't worry, I know their environments are quite different as I did my homework before pick up). I'll try to post pics in a new thread as soon as I can as I'm not totally sure of which subspecies...carapace is light green-yellow and black...2 very strong black bars on plastern and the skin is quite light on front feet...has yellow cheek marks and split back scute....any help or information from hermann folks would be greatly appreciated.... :)

The people my parents know that gave up the tort would like to thank you for taking it in and they say that it is a dalmation hermann.

jax7271

10 Year Member!
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the info on the little guy...just wondering, was the small enclosure he came home in his permanent enclosure? I have him in a much bigger one with a nice long uvb tube over its head...and it has been outside for a little sunbathing for short periods...

gtc said:
jax7271 said:

The people my parents know that gave up the tort would like to thank you for taking it in and they say that it is a dalmation hermann.