Can someone rescue a hermann tortoise in the toronto area ASAP?

gtc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
jax7271 said:
Thanks for the info on the little guy...just wondering, was the small enclosure he came home in his permanent enclosure? I have him in a much bigger one with a nice long uvb tube over its head...and it has been outside for a little sunbathing for short periods...

gtc said:
jax7271 said:
I picked up the little guy yesterday and he is eating and enjoying getting some UVB :)
It is 41 grams and only 6cm long...a little small for 2-3 years I think, but I don't know Hermanns as well as red foots...lol (don't worry, I know their environments are quite different as I did my homework before pick up). I'll try to post pics in a new thread as soon as I can as I'm not totally sure of which subspecies...carapace is light green-yellow and black...2 very strong black bars on plastern and the skin is quite light on front feet...has yellow cheek marks and split back scute....any help or information from hermann folks would be greatly appreciated.... :)

The people my parents know that gave up the tort would like to thank you for taking it in and they say that it is a dalmation hermann.

he was in a bigger plastic tub like the ones you put under the bed.the people didnt think that would fit in you car. Thats why they put him in the smaller one.

Hermanns do better with a powersun mvb instead of a uvb tube (unlike redfoots). In addition after so long without uvb that tort needs a more powerful source of uvb than just a tube light. Thats why I would really go with the powersun mvb 100w or 160w. Its also great you get him outdoors for some real sunshine, nothing beats that. :)

Finally, if you do keep him under a uvb tube, hermanns cant get vitamin D under a tube without a basking light bulb in addition to it that provides a temp of about 95 to 105 F.

jax7271

10 Year Member!
Ontario, Canada
He/she is under a UVB tube and a basking light; the first day I put a basking light in one end of the enclosure and he went right under it almost immediately, so the warmth was appreciated....I have had him in the sunshine outside for a while almost every day and he likes to eat dandelions and clover when we are outside...hopefully he can put on a little weight; there is a small bit of pyramiding on the shell, but not too high so I'm hoping it will improve with proper care...

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
jax7271 said:
He/she is under a UVB tube and a basking light; the first day I put a basking light in one end of the enclosure and he went right under it almost immediately, so the warmth was appreciated....I have had him in the sunshine outside for a while almost every day and he likes to eat dandelions and clover when we are outside...hopefully he can put on a little weight; there is a small bit of pyramiding on the shell, but not too high so I'm hoping it will improve with proper care...

Thanks for the update. I'm so glad to hear the little guy is finally getting the care he\she deserves. I'm back in Norway again. We have had a great summer here so my greek has been outside almost everyday, also eating lots of fresh weeds. :)

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)
Re: RE: Can someone rescue a hermann tortoise in the toronto area ASAP?

jax7271 said:
I picked up the little guy yesterday and he is eating and enjoying getting some UVB :)
It is 41 grams and only 6cm long...a little small for 2-3 years I think, but I don't know Hermanns as well as red foots...lol (don't worry, I know their environments are quite different as I did my homework before pick up). I'll try to post pics in a new thread as soon as I can as I'm not totally sure of which subspecies...carapace is light green-yellow and black...2 very strong black bars on plastern and the skin is quite light on front feet...has yellow cheek marks and split back scute....any help or information from hermann folks would be greatly appreciated.... :)

Sounds like a western. Are the bands tight or broken on the plastron? And also, westerns are the smaller of the three subspecies (eastern, western, and 'dalmations') and this might be the reason why he seems so small for his age.
Lucky! I have always wanted a split scute!
How bright are his carapace markings? Are the very bright contrasting colors? That would be a dalmation.