Tortoise Won't Move-Please Help.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi all. I posted a thread lately called 'Tort Very Inactive.' I thought it could have been the very hot weather that the country is going through, especially the heatwave, when temp reached almost 50 degrees Celcius! However when temp dropped things did not change: Oli seems to always be in a 'bad mood' and is always sticking to his 'favourite corner' as (I have named it), whenever outside his enclosure. In the past, he used to wait to get out of his enclosure and used to roam around the flat happily.

Today things seem to have got worse: after I soaked Oli and fed him I put him on the floor Once again.he went to his favourite corner. I picked him up very gently and put him in a different place (still on the floor). He's been there for more than one whole hour and has not moved literally a mm! The strange thing is that when I take him out for a so-called 'walk' he plays around, 'runs' around and roams around very happily. Once we get home his mood changes.

The issue is worrying me a lot. If anyone has any suggestions or tips on what I could do, they would be highly appreciated as soon as possible.Thank you, all.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
you answered your own question there. your saying he's a different tortoiseoutside more than inside your house some tortoises are like that

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
you answered your own question there. your saying he's a different tortoiseoutside more than inside your house some tortoises are like that
Oh no, Oli has only recently behaved like this. Please re-read the first paragraph, whereas I said: ' In the past, he used to wait to get out of his enclosure and used to roam around the flat happily.' There's something more than that to it I'm afraid. And vets for torts are not available here.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh no, Oli has only recently behaved like this. Please re-read the first paragraph, whereas I said: ' In the past, he used to wait to get out of his enclosure and used to roam around the flat happily.' There's something more than that to it I'm afraid. And vets for torts are not available here.

What type of substrate do you use in your enclosure? Carpet, tile, wood?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't need to reread it i read it heuse to roam in the house now now he don't think he likes it outsidethere are lots of tortoises like that they like it outside better

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post pics of,your enclosure. It's hard to say what could be going . Roaming your house, if that's what I am understanding, is not an old thing. So man things on the floor that could be eaten and cause impactions. Also, like mentioned, tortoises will sometimes act depressed when inside, after being outside. Along with a pic of the enclosure, include as much info about his care, housing and diet as possible.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I don't know about you, but I certainly perk up when I'm outside, and I'm not even a wild animal. Fresh air carrying exciting smells plus warm, unfiltered sunlight is pretty darn stimulating. Oli may just not be stimulated enough inside anymore to keep him wanting to be active. All the turtles and tortoises I've had experience with showed major differences in activity inside vs out.
Maybe add some more house plants to Oli's part of the flat,open the windows more, turn a fan on, increase the depth of his substrate - anything to add a little more of the outside world indoors.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
I have read on this forum that torts dont like to have change in
their enclosure, but Sheldon seems to enjoy it. He ventures all around exploring more after a change. Since I try to revamp his
space every 2 weeks. Maybe try swiching things around inside
Olis enclosure ~

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Post pics of,your enclosure. It's hard to say what could be going . Roaming your house, if that's what I am understanding, is not an old thing. So man things on the floor that could be eaten and cause impactions. Also, like mentioned, tortoises will sometimes act depressed when inside, after being outside. Along with a pic of the enclosure, include as much info about his care, housing and diet as possible.
Thanks your help and advice.

Very sorry can't post pics, due to the fact that there's something wrong with the camera. I would have posted them very long ago: I know how much they help. Thanks anyway.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If you put him down and he literally doesn't move, maybe he's too cold. It's hard to keep the whole house as warm as a tortoise needs it and the floor is usually colder. Soak him in some nice lukewarm water. See if that helps at all.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I have read on this forum that torts dont like to have change in
their enclosure, but Sheldon seems to enjoy it. He ventures all around exploring more after a change. Since I try to revamp his
space every 2 weeks. Maybe try swiching things around inside
Olis enclosure ~
I think infrequent changes like that where you change out some decorations and add new hides and things to climb like a log or thick stick with many bends stimulates them and stops boredom. I think the change most people are talking about on here is a complete overhaul where everything is scrapped torn down and destroyed then something completely new and different is made and the tort/turtle is put in that. While major changes like that are needed sometimes for various reasons, big changes like that shouldn't be done often because that could cause stress and they don't like it. I think that's what most people on here are talking about when they say change is bad.
Or maybe they mean any change beyond that which is necessary for continued good health. I don't know, my mind reading abilities don't work through electronics.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
If you put him down and he literally doesn't move, maybe he's too cold. It's hard to keep the whole house as warm as a tortoise needs it and the floor is usually colder. Soak him in some nice lukewarm water. See if that helps at all.
I am 99% sure it's not cold, even for a tortoise. The country is being effected by a heat wave and the flat is EXTREMELY HOT. Temperature reached 37 degrees Celcius during the day and now that it's night, temp has dropped to 22 degrees C.

I soak Oli at least three times daily in warm water, especially when it's so hot.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What sort of tortoise is Oli Gillian?
Would he normally dig?
Just wondering if you gave him substrate deep enough him to do that, would it relieve his boredom - if that's what it is.

Is he native to your part of the world?
Only I know you have heatwaves and are concerned about him getting too hot outside but if he is native he may tolerate it better than you think before/after the hottest parts of the day,and may like to spend time basking outside for a short time as well as his walk.
If he had a space (like the paddling pool I mentioned) outside with shade and a tray of water to self soak
he may perk up. It may be worth a try - if your circumstances allow.
Other than that can't think of what else to suggest - Sorry

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
What sort of tortoise is Oli Gillian?
Would he normally dig?
Just wondering if you gave him substrate deep enough him to do that, would it relieve his boredom - if that's what it is.

Is he native to your part of the world?
Only I know you have heatwaves and are concerned about him getting too hot outside but if he is native he may tolerate it better than you think before/after the hottest parts of the day,and may like to spend time basking outside for a short time as well as his walk.
If he had a space (like the paddling pool I mentioned) outside with shade and a tray of water to self soak
he may perk up. It may be worth a try - if your circumstances allow.
Other than that can't think of what else to suggest - Sorry
Thanks so much your help Lyn.

Oli is a Greek tortoise. He digs only in Winter, maybe to keep warm but I am guessing. Honestly speaking I don't know how long he's been here. All I can tell you is that I've had him for about 4.5 years and this has never happened before, be it in Summer or in Winter. IT didn't happen even last Winter when it SNOWED here, and temp dropped to -14!!!

I'm going to see to a paddling pool and give it a try; but I don't know yet whether or not I can afford it.

Took Oli for a walk today. He really did enjoy it.

Lyn DON"T apologize please! And again thanks your advice and help.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks so much your help Lyn.

Oli is a Greek tortoise. He digs only in Winter, maybe to keep warm but I am guessing. Honestly speaking I don't know how long he's been here. All I can tell you is that I've had him for about 4.5 years and this has never happened before, be it in Summer or in Winter. IT didn't happen even last Winter when it SNOWED here, and temp dropped to -14!!!

I'm going to see to a paddling pool and give it a try; but I don't know yet whether or not I can afford it.

Took Oli for a walk today. He really did enjoy it.

Lyn DON"T apologize please! And again thanks your advice and help.

I think Adam's Tidgey has been digging a lot lately (that could be a female thing though - going through the motions of egg laying etc.)
At least if Oli's happy and healthy when you go out you know it's nothing physical, more a state if mind when he's inside. Hmm - if only you could read his mind!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I think Adam's Tidgey has been digging a lot lately (that could be a female thing though - going through the motions of egg laying etc.)
At least if Oli's happy and healthy when you go out you know it's nothing physical, more a state if mind when he's inside. Hmm - if only you could read his mind!
Goodness, are there cute torts in need of a...Sigmund Freud? So it seems!

Again thanks for everything Lyn.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My Russian tortoise dig down when it's too hot. It's cooler underground. I don't know if Greeks do that but maybe if we provide a nice deep area of substrate that slightly damp so he can dig down and get cooled off maybe. And oh my how do you stand that heat!?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
My Russian tortoise dig down when it's too hot. It's cooler underground. I don't know if Greeks do that but maybe if we provide a nice deep area of substrate that slightly damp so he can dig down and get cooled off maybe. And oh my how do you stand that heat!?
Thanks your help and advice. Oli won't move while he's on the floor outside his enclosure. In the past, he used to wait for the second he's out of his enclosure, and roam around the flat. Don't know what on earth has changed.The flat, furniture,v hot Summer, freezing cold Winter, and his diet are the same since I've had him: about 4.5 years.

(I love the heat! Secondly, one may get used to it).

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks your help and advice. Oli won't move while he's on the floor outside his enclosure. In the past, he used to wait for the second he's out of his enclosure, and roam around the flat. Don't know what on earth has changed.The flat, furniture,v hot Summer, freezing cold Winter, and his diet are the same since I've had him: about 4.5 years.

(I love the heat! Secondly, one may get used to it).
Can you try oli with something new in his diet. Also what uvb are you providing indoors. Hi BTW.