Tortoise morning routine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelby13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi, I'm just wondering what routines your tortoises have in the mornings as our little horsefield tortoise seems to want to sleep for England until we wake him and place him under his basking lamp. After a few minutes under there he is up and running and roams around happily. Is it normal to have to do this as if we don't he won't appear for hours??!! :tort:

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Knobs of KY
I have to do the same thing for my sully, Méraddyn. He is like a teenager in the mornings-LOL I get him up and take him out for some fresh air, sun and grazing (usually about 30 minutes or so) Then I bring him in for a soak. During his soak, I put his brunch on his eating rock on his table. After soak, I put him on his table and he alternates between eating, wandering and basking under his light for a few hours. Then I take him back outside for grazing, sunshine and more exercise in the late afternoon/early evening. He comes back in to his dinner being on his rock :)

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Turn the lights on, 20 minute soak in the bathtub, breakfast, then into the outdoor pen depending on weather.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

Shelby13

5 Year Member
UK
Yeah Verne is worse than my 10 year old son, given half the chance he probably wouldn't venture from his pit all day! Lazy little tort ;-)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
My three get up about dawn, climb onto rocks or the "cave"'s roof to bask for an hour or so, then wait impatiently for breakfast...about 9 to 10am they go back into their "cave" until about 6 or 7pm, when they climb into the water container and chill a bit until sundown.

d9130271-6dec-4328-80c6-c0ec6814a4a3

L to R: Ptolemy, Apollonia (RIP). Jennifer, Ophelia

Status
Not open for further replies.