Tort Keeps Flipping On His Back - Please Help!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
"He will be more likely to flip himself back over if there are things nearby to brace himself against. Try putting heavy objects like rocks or bricks in with him in spots where you think he might be able to use them to right himself."

HI. Just came across the above whilst still trying to find a solution to OLI's issue. I tried it with a rock. OLI climbed on the rock time and once again to flip on his back.:(

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Here's some more advise. Unfortunately there are no vets here. At the same time, I can say one thing: OLI does not seem to be ill. He roams around happily when we are outside or when I take him out of the enclosure. As for his appetite, he is eating pretty well.

"Turtles on their backs are vulnerable. It's difficult for many of them to right themselves. If flipping over occurs frequently to your pet, something is wrong with him. If he exhibits any symptoms of illness along with the flipping, take him to the vet for a thorough examination. If his appetite and behavior is otherwise normal, investigate his living conditions to see if you need to make changes."

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Please watch this video.

default.jpg

Would appreciate your comments here. Thank you.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Unfortunately, I can't seem to watch your video. There's no link to follow for me. Could be this dinosaur of a computer that I'm using too. :rolleyes:

Rue

Canada
I was told that a 2nd story is a no-no...

I was interested in one too, because it would be a much better use of indoor space for my situation too.

We have the room for a large enclourse - but not in convenient places. Our convenient places have less room...so it's a conundrum I'm trying to plan for. A second story would have addressed that, but as I said, it's a no-no...

One of the many 'conflicting advice' topics I've run across...

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
The corner that Oli keeps going back to, is that the corner he usually flips over in?
You could try taking a piece of something and just barricading the corner off. A small piece, just so that he's not faced with a 90* angle.
I think for the most part that 2nd stories are considered a no-no, simply because they're more work than they're worth. But if you absolutely have 100% no room available, there might be ways to make it work. Again, you'd be adding a ramp, and more corners for Oli to deal with, but it's possible to cap the corners or at least make it so there's no hard right angles.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Some people do successfully have two stories, but problems come with controlling temperature and lighting on the two levels.

The ramp must not be steep.

It must be impossible to fall from upper to lower storey and also impossible to fall off the ramp.

The ramp slope alone means that the floor size of the lower storey has to be pretty large just to get to sufficient height.

It's not impossible to do, but it's certainly challenging in a small floor area like Gillian has.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
The corner that Oli keeps going back to, is that the corner he usually flips over in?
You could try taking a piece of something and just barricading the corner off. A small piece, just so that he's not faced with a 90* angle.
I think for the most part that 2nd stories are considered a no-no, simply because they're more work than they're worth. But if you absolutely have 100% no room available, there might be ways to make it work. Again, you'd be adding a ramp, and more corners for Oli to deal with, but it's possible to cap the corners or at least make it so there's no hard right angles.
Thanks your help.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Some people do successfully have two stories, but problems come with controlling temperature and lighting on the two levels.

The ramp must not be steep.

It must be impossible to fall from upper to lower storey and also impossible to fall off the ramp.

The ramp slope alone means that the floor size of the lower storey has to be pretty large just to get to sufficient height.

It's not impossible to do, but it's certainly challenging in a small floor area like Gillian has.
You are 100% right: it is possible to have a second storey done. However:

1) temperature will become a NEW issue
2) I cannot afford it at the moment.

Thanks so much your help, which I appreciate.