This forum needs a rodent topic!

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Oh! Gillian I just thought of the perfect pet for you! .... A rabbit! Netherlands dwarf are rather adorable and my friend has a rabbit, it's soo cuddly and sits there for hours on your lap being petted :D @Gillian Moore

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Oh! Gillian I just thought of the perfect pet for you! .... A rabbit! Netherlands dwarf are rather adorable and my friend has a rabbit, it's soo cuddly and sits there for hours on your lap being petted :D @Gillian Moore
Rabbits are wonderful pets, but it's better to keep them in an outside enclosure (or a very large inside enclosure, but @Gillian Moore only has a small flat). I have rabbits indoors from time to time, in quarantine or for treatment when they are sick, and they destroy everything within their reach - furniture, carpets, door frames, wallpapers,... they are grawing the whole day. :eek:

Also you should have at least two of them, they get extremely lonely when they are kept alone (same as gerbils). :(

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Interesting. Know what? I'm thinking of another pet. I LOVE my Greek tort, but torts only 'run' for food. One cannot have fun with them. They don't like to be cuddled, carried and so on. Thought of a kitten, but could a kitten/cat harm a tort? A bird maybe. I haven't made my mind up yet: I haven't decided which one yet, but it's definnitely NOT a dog: I am scared to death of dogs!
You'd be afraid of THIS? A fifteen year old Chihuaha caught eating paper towels?
That's my boy, Chester!

Attachments

• 20150401_155510.jpg
    20150401_155510.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 14

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
You'd be afraid of THIS? A fifteen year old Chihuaha caught eating paper towels?
That's my boy, Chester!
Hi Ed. Yes, believe it or not I am very and I mean VERY SCARED of dogs. I do know it sounds strange, even unbelievable, but I cannot help it. One cannot control one's feelings.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Aww too bad, my dog LOVES snuggles. He can't sit next to you he has to be on you lol View attachment 133728 gerbils aren't really a pet that's sits still but they are adorable and I do LOVE Them and would get more. I just saw my friends new rats, she has four. If you like them, they make great pets! They snuggle, sit on your shoulder and are great fun. I wish I could have one but I don't have the room. Here's one of my friends new rats View attachment 133729
Oh no, not a rat. I have almost made my mind up.....a cute little kitten. I'm still not 100% sure, as a bird would be a probability.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Oh no, not a rat. I have almost made my mind up.....a cute little kitten. I'm still not 100% sure, as a bird would be a probability.
I had cats, mine never cuddled with me. They were affectionate. I loved them to bits like all my pets. Sadly all 3 of mine died :( 2 got hit by a car and died (people speed down my road) and one was born with an untreatable illness :( we tried everything we could but he was in pain and we had to put him down :( he was so young :( I had British shorthair cats. Burmese are also very affectionate. :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I had cats, mine never cuddled with me. They were affectionate. I loved them to bits like all my pets. Sadly all 3 of mine died :( 2 got hit by a car and died (people speed down my road) and one was born with an untreatable illness :( we tried everything we could but he was in pain and we had to put him down :( he was so young :( I had British shorthair cats. Burmese are also very affectionate. :)
So sorry to have heard about the death of your cats.

Well, there is an exception to each and every rule. Personally, I'm quite sure that one can give and take much more with cats and dogs than one can with torts.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
These are my four girls. They're very social, fun, clean, and cuddly. And smart! They're easily trained. :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439394434.955933.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 23
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439394465.383085.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 22
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439394486.925264.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 21
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439394502.679222.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 20
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439394520.541416.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 20
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439394548.593077.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 19
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439394568.982308.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 17
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439394588.528110.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 17
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439394616.002533.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 18
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439394642.950053.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 17
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439394688.243019.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 18
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439394765.274299.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 17
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439394794.957508.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 17
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439394818.676040.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 17
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439394843.431446.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 19
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439394874.583055.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 19

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Very nice pics. GOD bless.

You must be a very patient person to be able to look after all those pets.
What? Four turtles, four rats, two dogs, three fish, five cats? That's nothing. You should see my house in the spring when everyone starts dropping off newborn squirrels and kittens and baby birds and snakes. Now that's when I have my hands full, haha.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I have a dumbo rat named Sneakers - She walked into our house on Halloween as a little pup - we thought she was a mouse. After some begging I relented and let the BF keep her and now shes one of our favorites. She loves snuggles and she loves to play.
p1275625891-4.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
What? Four turtles, four rats, two dogs, three fish, five cats? That's nothing. You should see my house in the spring when everyone starts dropping off newborn squirrels and kittens and baby birds and snakes. Now that's when I have my hands full, haha.
Now it's my turn to say...WHAT?! And you even say it's nothing...goodness! By the way, how do get enough time to look after all of them?

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Now it's my turn to say...WHAT?! And you even say it's nothing...goodness! By the way, how do get enough time to look after all of them?
Because I'm lucky enough to constantly be laid off and only be able to get seasonal work. (1/3 sarcasm, 1/3 joke, 1/3 sad).
I do rescue work, but it's not a "legit" rescue with a base of operations besides my house and volunteers/workers and funding. It's just me. Sometimes people offer an adoption fee when I rehome a foster, but most of the time I take them in, heal them up and get them medical attention if needed, then rehome them with vetted people without an adoption fee. I keep in touch with them long term and make sure they know if there is ever a problem I can always take them back. That's only happened once or twice.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Because I'm lucky enough to constantly be laid off and only be able to get seasonal work. (1/3 sarcasm, 1/3 joke, 1/3 sad).
I do rescue work, but it's not a "legit" rescue with a base of operations besides my house and volunteers/workers and funding. It's just me. Sometimes people offer an adoption fee when I rehome a foster, but most of the time I take them in, heal them up and get them medical attention if needed, then rehome them with vetted people without an adoption fee. I keep in touch with them long term and make sure they know if there is ever a problem I can always take them back. That's only happened once or twice.
I like that mathematics in your above post: 1/3+1/3+1/3. It was my favourite subject, and that's why it attracted my attention immediately.

By the way, which is animal would you choose if you had to choose one type?

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
These are my four girls. They're very social, fun, clean, and cuddly. And smart! They're easily trained. :)
I have a dumbo rat named Sneakers - She walked into our house on Halloween as a little pup - we thought she was a mouse. After some begging I relented and let the BF keep her and now shes one of our favorites. She loves snuggles and she loves to play.
p1275625891-4.jpg
Such beauties :D

I really want a rat but my mum hates the tails. She just about let me have my gerbils as their tails are furry :( :)