This forum needs a rodent topic!

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
So aswell as a dog and tortoise I also have rodents and have done for years. Here's my gerbil Cheddar. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433880819.376497.jpg
He lives here:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433880853.366053.jpg
Cheddar is around 2 years old. Sadly his brother Cheese passed away suddenly last year from unknown causes :( they are sub clean animals and he loves his sand baths. He is also very friendly and climbs out onto my hand.
He also LOVES Cheerios!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433880976.145937.jpg
Here is his beautiful brother Cheese :( rip buddy
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433881217.467614.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My step daughter had them. They bit me whenever they could and died of old age apparently at about 3 years old right when they settled down.
The short life span is your unknown cause.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
So aswell as a dog and tortoise I also have rodents and have done for years. Here's my gerbil Cheddar. View attachment 133526
He lives here:
View attachment 133527
Cheddar is around 2 years old. Sadly his brother Cheese passed away suddenly last year from unknown causes :( they are sub clean animals and he loves his sand baths. He is also very friendly and climbs out onto my hand.
He also LOVES Cheerios!

Very sweet. GOD bless.

Regret to have heard tlhat Cheese passed away.

I'd like to ask a question: Are they easy to deal with/handle? Can one give and take with them?
View attachment 133528
Here is his beautiful brother Cheese :( rip buddy
View attachment 133532

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Very sweet-GOD bless.

Very sorry to have heard that Cheese passed away.

Please allow me to ask: are these cute little animals easy to deal with/handle? Can one give and take with them?

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Very sweet-GOD bless.

Very sorry to have heard that Cheese passed away.

Please allow me to ask: are these cute little animals easy to deal with/handle? Can one give and take with them?
Cheddar and cheese have never bitten me. They have had a tiny nibble when I had food scent on my hands. From the first day I got them cheddar was naturally tame. He actually used to scare me because if I opened the cage he would literally jump out onto me. At first handling cheese made him scared, he never tried to bite me though. However, they are quite fast.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
My step daughter had them. They bit me whenever they could and died of old age apparently at about 3 years old right when they settled down.
The short life span is your unknown cause.
i don't think so sane ha just turned two when he died. He still ate a lot and I have a video of him and cheddar running and jumping around together when I took them out of the cage. All my other rodents died of old age, they didn't eat much and generally declined in health and act hey we're slow and I kind of knew when they were going to die as their breathing pattern would change.
This was so sudden. He was eating and would come out and chew things. The only warning I got was that he was a bit less active,but the next day I come to feed him and find him dead :(

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
They are cute and fuzzy and it's heartbreaking, I know. They are more interesting and try to escape less than hamsters. Had them, too.
Yeah, I've had both hamsters (Syrian and dwarf) and I think gerbils are the cleanest and most tame. They are adorable it's a shame about their short life spans :) :(

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yeah, I've had both hamsters (Syrian and dwarf) and I think gerbils are the cleanest and most tame. They are adorable it's a shame about their short life spans :) :(
You have both ends of the spectrum. very short and very long with the tortoise.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Cheddar and cheese have never bitten me. They have had a tiny nibble when I had food scent on my hands. From the first day I got them cheddar was naturally tame. He actually used to scare me because if I opened the cage he would literally jump out onto me. At first handling cheese made him scared, he never tried to bite me though. However, they are quite fast.
Interesting. Know what? I'm thinking of another pet. I LOVE my Greek tort, but torts only 'run' for food. One cannot have fun with them. They don't like to be cuddled, carried and so on. Thought of a kitten, but could a kitten/cat harm a tort? A bird maybe. I haven't made my mind up yet: I haven't decided which one yet, but it's definnitely NOT a dog: I am scared to death of dogs!

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Interesting. Know what? I'm thinking of another pet. I LOVE my Greek tort, but torts only 'run' for food. One cannot have fun with them. They don't like to be cuddled, carried and so on. Thought of a kitten, but could a kitten/cat harm a tort? A bird maybe. I haven't made my mind up yet: I haven't decided which one yet, but it's definnitely NOT a dog: I am scared to death of dogs!
Aww too bad, my dog LOVES snuggles. He can't sit next to you he has to be on you lol ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433965120.385160.jpg gerbils aren't really a pet that's sits still but they are adorable and I do LOVE Them and would get more. I just saw my friends new rats, she has four. If you like them, they make great pets! They snuggle, sit on your shoulder and are great fun. I wish I could have one but I don't have the room. Here's one of my friends new rats ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433965254.668479.jpg

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
...oh no he didn't o_O

I used to have a royal python, I only fed it frozen mice I refused to live feed. He got too big so he had to be given away though :I
That's to bad I live royals or ball pythons as we call them here in the states they really aren't that big I am suprised you gave It away ps I also feed frozen thaw

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
That's to bad I live royals or ball pythons as we call them here in the states they really aren't that big I am suprised you gave It away ps I also feed frozen thaw
We'll she outgrew her viv and we didn't have the time she deserved for her anymore. She went to a great home and laid eggs in the first few months.:)