Let's see some Gerbils!

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Does anyone on here own gerbils?

I have one named cheddar.
He is 2.5 years old.
He used to have a brother named cheese but he passed unexpectedly last year.

Cheddar loves chocolate drops, Cheerios and exploring outside of his cage :)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446412419.920838.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446412466.506527.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446412480.374851.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446412488.581856.jpg
Any ideas on the colour type he is?
I originally thought dove but I think he's too light for that (?)

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Cheddar is VERY cute! I'm sorry about cheese.
Thanks, it was a shock when cheese passed, totally unexpected.

Cheddar is definitely special though, the minute I open his cage he's straight out and climbing on me.
Even the vet said he's the friendliest gerbil he's ever met and didn't attempt to bite him at all even after 2 needles were stuck on him.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Gerbils were my first "own" pets more than 20 years ago, they were very cute but rather shy.
Cheddars colour is beautiful. :) But you really should get him a new partner, they are extremely social animals and should never be kept alone.

Cheddar loves chocolate drops
I guess you already know, but be careful he doesn't get any real chocolate, it's is a very dangerous neurotoxin. :eek:

Last edited:

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Gerbils were my first "own" pets more than 20 years ago, they were very cute but rather shy.
Cheddars colour is beautiful. :) But you really should get him a new partner, they are extremely social animals and should never be kept alone.

I guess you already know, but be careful he doesn't get any real chocolate, it's is a very dangerous neurotoxin. :eek:
I did look into getting another but I know it's dangerous introducing.
Cheddar is doing fine alone. Another reason I didn't get another is that I'll get stuck with an endless chain of gerbils!
One dies, get another and so on.

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

Urgent help needed with nearly 2 year old male gerbil. Homer has developed another head tilt, this time more severe. Seems very perky and is eating but struggles to move, very lopsided and unbalanced. I think he's had a stroke - please help me, what do I do? My gerbils mean the world to me. Other two boys unaffected.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Urgent help needed with nearly 2 year old male gerbil. Homer has developed another head tilt, this time more severe. Seems very perky and is eating but struggles to move, very lopsided and unbalanced. I think he's had a stroke - please help me, what do I do? My gerbils mean the world to me. Other two boys unaffected.
Sorry, I've never heard of this!
My friends rat had an ear infection and had a head tilt. I'd get him to a vet if I were you.

Keep us updated, hope he's ok!

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Little cheddar has a little mark still from his injections. No idea if it will ever go or not but oh well, at least he seems ok now :)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446580059.629332.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446580102.616059.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446580116.482801.jpg
Sorry for horrible quality pictures.

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

Homer had a head-tilt a while ago, which turned out to be an inner ear infection, and he was very weak then. He's still moving about quite energetically this time, but one side of his body has gone lax and he can't walk well. He sort of slides. I'm almost positive it was a stroke this time, and Baytril can't fix that.

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

Thanks, it was a shock when cheese passed, totally unexpected.

Cheddar is definitely special though, the minute I open his cage he's straight out and climbing on me.
Even the vet said he's the friendliest gerbil he's ever met and didn't attempt to bite him at all even after 2 needles were stuck on him.

What was wrong with Cheddar?

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

He had a lump on his scent gland.
Still not sure what it was.

Very likely a scent gland infection or tumour. Males are very prone to them. One of my older males actually had an infected tumour, and his brother caught the infection. Jet and Jasper both recovered from the infection, but Jet succumbed to the tumour after a few days. Very sad.

It was most likely an infection if it cleared up on its own. I wish him good health from here on in. :)