Redfoot's arms and neck look puffy.

jockma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles County
He's still straining to get something out...whatever it is it's close. Had his tail sticking out straight and push, push pushing. Hopefully he can pass it soon.

Kori5

Yayyy :). It's 1:10 am here and my boyfriend is watching a game and I just yelled He poooped :D. Hahah...Keep an eye on his tail and watch out for a prolapse with the straining. But he sounds better and you know where to start and what to mention to the vet :)

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I decided to take him out of the bath because I didn't want him to get too stressed out...he felt lighter, so hopefully he was able to pee a little (it looked like he was peeing but I can't be sure, little flakes of poo jetted out. Flushed out with pee maybe?). Still a bit of puffiness but then again he's still straining. He's pacing around impatiently under his heat lamp now. I feel a lot better knowing things are moving back there even if he didn't pass all of it.

Randi

Canada
So glad there is a little bit of movement! Hopefully there is more where that came from. It was mentioned above that you can give mineral oil orally. You can. Put a few drops on a piece of food and hopefully your tort eats it. I've seen it mentioned before (by Yvonne I believe) that you can roll up lettuce or whatever you choose to use like a burrito with the mineral oil inside - may make getting it in easier. It will help lubricate. I'd also still use a drop or two up the cloaca so when your tort does have a bowel movement, hopefully whatever it is manages to come out too. Also, I do not think there is such a thing as soaking too much in this situation. Best of luck. :<3:

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
If you don't have mineral oil you can use a bit of petroluem jelly without any extra junk in it. That's what we used for cats with hairballs when I was a vet assistant. You could rub it on a strawberry or other yummy treat and give it to him that way.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Morning everybody...the vet appointment is in a few hours and I'm soaking him again for now. He's trying to escape the soak tub as usual. Still doesn't seem lethargic. Not passing anything but farting a bit. I feel like his pyramiding has gotten worse although he has had smooth growth lines for months now...so I'm worried about what that could mean. I think I should keep him indoors with a UVB bulb all the time instead of taking him outside so much. It's too dry outside.

"Puffiness" isn't as prominent as before. In fact it looks almost normal. It comes and goes. That's comforting. His head still looks dry but that could be from stress. He's not used to having so many soaks and being in his temp enclosure. I can't wait for a blood panel. Thank you all for the tips...is Vaseline safe for him to eat? Should I wait for the vet visit first?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Morning everybody...the vet appointment is in a few hours and I'm soaking him again for now. He's trying to escape the soak tub as usual. Still doesn't seem lethargic. Not passing anything but farting a bit. I feel like his pyramiding has gotten worse although he has had smooth growth lines for months now...so I'm worried about what that could mean. I think I should keep him indoors with a UVB bulb all the time instead of taking him outside so much. It's too dry outside.

"Puffiness" isn't as prominent as before. In fact it looks almost normal. It comes and goes. That's comforting. His head still looks dry but that could be from stress. He's not used to having so many soaks and being in his temp enclosure. I can't wait for a blood panel. Thank you all for the tips...is Vaseline safe for him to eat? Should I wait for the vet visit first?
Don't know about Vaseline, but with vets appointment being so close, I wouldn't try anything new. See what the vet says. Good luck. Fingers crossed here.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Vaseline is petrolatum jelly. His gut seems to be conpromised, I'd not add the risk of him ingesting vaseline at this time. I'm glad you are taking him to the vet. Ihope they do xray to check for any blockage, and also blood panel to check for any potential reasons for the swelling (circulatory, kidney, liver issues, or electolytes imbalance, or low protein levels, or any others). Good luck and please keep us posted

Kori5

Good luck and share the news from the vet, I'll stay up :)

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
At the vet. Blood is being taken. The vet is not very concerned about the puffiness and thinks it might be a variation of normal for him. I still don't feel any better honestly. I'm scared.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Vet told me to keep him "dry"...on newspapers she said...this concerns me...why would I keep a rainforest tort dry? I definitely make sure the substrate isn't wet but I'd never keep him dry. Especially not when kidney issues are possible. I don't know.

Kori5

Well test will show, I waited for the results for a few days and was very worried, just like you. He also wasn't pooping. And when tests came it showed everything is ok :)

Kori5

Vet told me to keep him "dry"...on newspapers she said...this concerns me...why would I keep a rainforest tort dry? I definitely make sure the substrate isn't wet but I'd never keep him dry. Especially not when kidney issues are possible. I don't know.
:eek: I have no idea why, usually soaking is recomended. Did you request an xray? Please do and insist as I had to. It is pricey but maybe really important.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
You need to ask the vet why he needs to be kept dry.

Kori5

Ask everything you wanna know even if you think it is stupid or not important...He needs to explain everything to you. My was so nice and I am really paranoid.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
He has a little abrasion on his head. She believes it's an infection. We were given antibiotic ointment to put on it.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
She said to soak him but keep him off substrate until the infection clears. So keep him on newspapers or paper towels.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
don't be afraid 2 ask questions a good vet will answer them ask them why he needs to kept dry simple as that

Kori5

But what about the not pooping and straining thing? How does she explain that and can eliminate an possible blockage?