Redfoot's arms and neck look puffy.

Kori5

Great news :). I hope its just a small infection. Good you took him, hope you can calm a little.

jockma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles County
I feel horrible about the scrape on his head...he got it while outside so I assumed his skin got too dry in the sun...it was getting less noticeable so I forgot about it...but looking now it definitely looks infected...

I hope the ointment works fast. Vet doesn't think it's anything really but I feel so guilty...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
still struggling to pass something? That's what I'd worry about

Kori5

I feel horrible about the scrape on his head...he got it while outside so I assumed his skin got too dry in the sun...it was getting less noticeable so I forgot about it...but looking now it definitely looks infected...

I hope the ointment works fast. Vet doesn't think it's anything really but I feel so guilty...
Mine had a thorn near his eye for a whole day beffore I noticed. He spends summers outside and things like that happen. Tortoises in wild also get injured and my vet said I wouldn't believe with what injuries they eat, walk and live :). Keep him soaking and put some olive oil on his hole to help him pass that poop.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
A bit, but I think he got most of it out yesterday. Only poop came up in the X-rays, no blockages or stones, and it's moving down nicely. I'm letting him rest for now. I soaked him before applying the antibiotic ointment and he doesn't seem to be straining nearly as hard. I think he was mostly straining to get that papaya out.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I forgot to mention straining could also be. because of parasites did you get a check done?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
no unfortunately a blood test will not show a parasite overload a fecal test will need to be done

Kori5

When he poops in a few days put it in a small jar from pharmacy and dip a litttle water on it and put it in the fridge for your next vet visit.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
When he poops in a few days put it in a small jar from pharmacy and dip a litttle water on it and put it in the fridge for your next vet visit.
Yes I'll bring some poop to his next appointment. I feel awful moving him around so much since today has been so hectic for him so I'll wait a bit and let him rest. I'm sure I'll get a sample soon since he ate a ton of romaine and boiled egg this morning. That's a good combo for him, poop-wise.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Quick update: the puffiness is more or less gone, and he is no longer straining. I fed him some chopped up hay and some greens to trick him into eating it. I'll soak him later tonight and see if we can bring those poops out. It looks like he was straining yesterday because he ate something that made him uncomfortable. I'm betting on the papaya since it gave him diarrhea before even when fed in small amounts with plenty of fiber. And then I fed him more of it. :/

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Feed him some cactus . This will get things moving .

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Feed him some cactus . This will get things moving .
I'd love to but my cactus pads aren't producing much recently. I can't find any around here that I'm comfortable feeding him. I like giving him the "baby" pads that aren't prickly yet.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You can buy cactus at a Mexican food store already cut up in bags . Try cucumbers also . If he is stopped up stop the hey feedings . Feed foods with more water content . Mazuri soaked in water works also .

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I fed him hay to firm up his poops a bit, he only had diarrhea yesterday but he has some more poops on the way. I fed him lots of strawberries alongside everything else. I also have some cucumber so I'll feed some after his soak tonight.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
He's doing really well. Puffiness is gone. He's not straining anymore either. I'm really curious about the blood test results but I'm really optimistic. I'm leaning on my theory that he retained water because he ate something that really disagreed with him and he needed fluids to flush it out. The vet confirmed he was puffy so at least I know it wasn't just my imagination lol.

He also seems to have had a growth spurt! Nice and smooth. Maybe from all that feeding to get him to poop?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
He's doing really well. Puffiness is gone. He's not straining anymore either. I'm really curious about the blood test results but I'm really optimistic. I'm leaning on my theory that he retained water because he ate something that really disagreed with him and he needed fluids to flush it out. The vet confirmed he was puffy so at least I know it wasn't just my imagination lol.

He also seems to have had a growth spurt! Nice and smooth. Maybe from all that feeding to get him to poop?
Typically in a week, what do you feed him normally?