Bloating?

Ihaveeatortoise

Quick question and maybe I'm just being paranoid but does this little guy look a bit bloated? I was talking to him today and noticed that the area around his little arms looked a bit puffy? He always looks so sad and I can't tell if his arms are puffying because he's ducking his head a bit. Sorry, I'm new to tortoises! 20160309_225301.jpg

Kori5

My opinion ( and I'm not an expert) is yes, his arms do look puffy. And his eyes look sunken. Is he dehydrated? Does he poop normal? Soak him :).

Ihaveeatortoise

My opinion ( and I'm not an expert) is yes, his arms do look puffy. And his eyes look sunken. Is he dehydrated? Does he poop normal? Soak him :).

I've never actually seen him poop. I have seen him pee, in fact he pees quite a lot. I've been giving him warm baths each about 20 minutes, he doesn't seem to enjoy them though. Today, he took a nap while bathing.

Kori5

Well sometimes they get puffy if they are constipated because they retain water. Puffiness could also be a sign of renal problems. Do you have all the right temps, what do you feed him? I would give him longer soaks, about an hour and change the water when it gets cold. Hope someone more experienced comments :). It could be nothing, don't worry.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Ya know? I think I misspoke on your other thread. This tortoise looks like a Texas tortoise to me, and not a desert tortoise. But to be sure I'll need to see more pictures...top looking straight down, underside looking straight down and profile.

What you're seeing it a fat tortoise that isn't getting enough exercise for the amount of food he's eating.

Ihaveeatortoise

Ya know? I think I misspoke on your other thread. This tortoise looks like a Texas tortoise to me, and not a desert tortoise. But to be sure I'll need to see more pictures...top looking straight down, underside looking straight down and profile.

What you're seeing it a fat tortoise that isn't getting enough exercise for the amount of food he's eating.

Now, unfortunately I couldn't get a picture of his underside (its a bit difficult since its just him and I) but I think you're right! I looked up Texas Tortoise and the first image looks just like him. I also found a tortoise named Gopherus agassizii that looks like him as well.
20160310_145712.jpg 20160310_152728.jpg 20160310_151711.jpg
I took him to the park today and he spent two hours grazing. He looked so happy! I've never seen him move so fast and he looked so content! He spent about 90% of the time eating and he loved dandelions. I think you're right, too. He might just be a little fat from the lack of exercise. The park wore him out though because he's been sleeping ever since.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Ok, I see it now. Your tortoise has a nuchal scute, so he's NOT a texas tortoise. He's a desert tortoise. Gopherus agassizii.