Official introduction of Mojo.

mojo_1

Location (City and/or State)
Saint Clairsville OH
Hello everyone. My name is Buck, I've been on the forum for a little while. I'm officially making my introductions for my Red foot tortoise Mojo. After a lot of changes I have finally corrected the doings of bad information given before finding this forum. Mojo is 7 months old he/she is 6.5cm long and 52g. I just received the new tort condo from Animal plastics it's a 4'x2'x2' it arrived with a broken glass but Ali at Animal plastics is great to deal with they're sending a new one out this week. I have a sheet of plexiglass in there for the moment. I have 2 che to maintain over 80° Temps and a T5 10.0HO tube for the needed UV's on a timer for mid day run for about 4 hours. And currently a 65 watt incandescent bulb for daylight/basking. Still testing the temperatures of it. 34074.jpeg20231017_085357.jpg20231016_205925.jpg20231016_205916.jpg20231016_205910.jpg

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Looks great, just be sure to get that humidity up. 80%
Do you have any helpful tips I've been trying to get it up but the humidity doesn't seem to be holding. The lower layers of bark are soaked. The only thing that has been bringing it up is the mister.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Right now you don't have the front doors glass and use plexiglass as a substitute, if I get it right... Otherwise it's closed chamber plastic enclosure with closed (non-mesh) top... Humidity probe is placed near the substrate and temperature probe as well. If the sheet of plexiglass is firmly attached to the front humidity should be high enough.

I have two guessings:
1. Plexyglass is not firmly attached and you have "chimney effect", where hot humid air flows up and away... Maybe some duct tape would help with that.
2. If, by chance, you have temperature gun - please check substrate temperature. Air could be hot, so thermostat turns CHEs off and they can't warm up lower substrate layers to trigger evaporation. You can turn off one CHE in that case, so the other one works for prolonged time... Incandescent lamp could affect this too, if you have LED bulb at hand try to replace it. Mojo will be fine without basking spot.
3. Placing water dish under basking bulb could help a little as well.

Wish I'd be more useful and experienced...

The enclosure is very lovely and so is little Mojo!

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Water dish is under basking bulb. Temp probes are at tort height poking up from substrate. Bark is ranging from 80° to 93° depending on location. Plexiglass is cut to original glass size and thickness. They are sliding glass doors with a 3" overlap in center

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Everything looks fine and even better. I've run out of ideas. :) Just the last one - mix top and lower layers of substrate, at least in the part of the enclosure. Before the night sleep, for example. Top layer should be dry by the morning. This should quickly ramp up the humidity and we'll see if it lasts for long...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you misting or did you actually pour water in?
Misting won't do it. But pouring warm water into the corners, will wet the bottom substrate while keeping the top dry. Don't over do it, pour a little and let it settle in before adding more. When you think the bottom substrate is damp all over, you have enough. The humidity should do up. You shouldn't have to do this often once you got it. Maybe once or twice a month, just check it once in a while or if the humidity starts to drop.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Are you misting or did you actually pour water in?
Misting won't do it. But pouring warm water into the corners, will wet the bottom substrate while keeping the top dry. Don't over do it, pour a little and let it settle in before adding more. When you think the bottom substrate is damp all over, you have enough. The humidity should do up. You shouldn't have to do this often once you got it. Maybe once or twice a month, just check it once in a while or if the humidity starts to drop.
Yes I poured water in the corners the lower substrate is damp all over. And I have been misting as well.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Everything looks fine and even better. I've run out of ideas. :) Just the last one - mix top and lower layers of substrate, at least in the part of the enclosure. Before the night sleep, for example. Top layer should be dry by the morning. This should quickly ramp up the humidity and we'll see if it lasts for long...
I will try mixing it up this evening.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I believe 90's is too high for a RF. They don't bask like other species. I think 85 is the hottest it should be
@ZEROPILOT can confirm.
90° is getting into the upper area for comfort. But it should be OK as long as that is about the hottest it gets.
82- 84 is the sweet spot.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I have finally settled with wireless sensors. So I can see meterings history (during the night, for example) and set alarm thresholds in the app. The best thing is that you can place them anywhere you like.
SensorPush are expensive, but purpose-built and reliable. TP Link Tapo T310 which I have are relatively cheap, but they are "consumer-grade".

I also have a simple electronic gauge (display + probe) from ExoTerra to get the readings from the humid night hide as well. Results are consistent with other sensors, so it's fine for me.

* And I still have simple on/off thermostat to control RHPs instead of smart sockets and such, because it's simple and reliable.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Oh.. The vents... I overlooked them on photos, but yes they drop down humidity a lot.. because they are the vents.
So simple and obvious answer :)

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Humidity is in the 70's now. Going to find a led bulb today. Humidity was higher before the light came on.