How long would this size of an enclosure last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivyna J. Spyder

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Okay, assuming I start with a baby redfoot, and a table with a 4'x2' floor space... (Would I need to maybe section it off to a smaller small for a very small baby though?)

But how long, on average, would that enclosure size last it before I'd need to build the adult size one? One year? Two? More? It's just nice to know ahead of time so I can plan better.

And would 8'x4' be an appropriate floor space for a single adult?

Thanks!

deborahbroadus

5 Year Member
Baltimore, MD
Ivyna J. Spyder said:
Okay, assuming I start with a baby redfoot, and a table with a 4'x2' floor space... (Would I need to maybe section it off to a smaller small for a very small baby though?)

But how long, on average, would that enclosure size last it before I'd need to build the adult size one? One year? Two? More? It's just nice to know ahead of time so I can plan better.

And would 8'x4' be an appropriate floor space for a single adult?

Thanks!

In my opinion, if you started out with one of these:

http://www.bigappleherp.com/Zoo-Med-...c=2&category=4 (pic attached) you could add on as the animal got bigger, and needed more roaming space. I think they need a lot of roaming room. I know that before I had those dogs on each side of my acre of land, that Samwise would roam the whole yard, and still manage to come back.

Attachments

• SamWise's indoor house.jpg
    SamWise's indoor house.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 39

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't keep redfoots, however, I do have some baby yellowfoots that I raised from eggs (now 4 years old). I think your 4'x2' enclosure would be just fine. My 4 years olds are still in their baby habitat, and its only 2'x3' (appx)

One of my babies, at 4 years of age, is quite a bit larger than the other two, and this year she will be going outside with the adult YF, but the other two are about 4 or 5" straight carapace length. I put them outside during the day in good weather into this habitat:

100_1082.jpg

Its a little overgrown inside because it has been empty over the winter:

100_1083.jpg

Their indoor tort table:

100_1084.jpg

100_1085.jpg

100_1086.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I measured Pio's outdoor enclosure yesterday, while doing some cleaning. It's 7' x 6'. I thought it was smaller, but I was mistaken. Pio is a little over 6 inches now.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Dang Pio has a palace! ;)
Nelson is a 3" Russian tortoise and he's in a 4x2 enclosure. I can't imagine a full-grown tortoise in that size enclosure! It's just enough space for him.
Bigger is always better.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
This is a very interesting thread because I am in the process of building an outdoor enclosure for an adult redfoot that a friend is giving me. The enclosure is 8'-15' and I will post some pics as soon as it is completed!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Same here - may be getting some Redfoots and working on an outdoor enclosure. I was wondering what size would be appropriate, at least for the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.