Full Grown?

Rachels

Location (City and/or State)
Meridian Idahio
I am in Idaho. Happy Mojo , my Red Foot tortoise is a member of our family. During the cold months, he has his bedroom, with overhead lights reptile, a humidifier, and a heater, so he is free to walk around, hide in boxes, or bask in the lights. He sleeps a lot during the snow season but is now up at 11 am, plays sleeps til dinner at 5 pm, and then back to bed at 7 pm. He is growing a lot, as he's around 4 years old. He loves our Maltese dog, 11 years, 8 pounds. Sometimes they snuggle together. For some reason, he doesn't like to sit under the lights for an extended period. but they are approx. 12 to 18 in height..your thoughts? When is he considered full-grown?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First he should never be with your dog. I know, they are best friends, etc. we have seen and heard it all before too many times when those best friends are no longer friends and the poor tortoise pays for your human thoughts.
Second, RF don't bask like other tortoises. They like lots of plant cover.
At 4 years he is not likely full grown yet.
@ZEROPILOT

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am also in the PNW, my 3 year old RF is very active no matter what the weather outside. Is he in an enclosed shelter? Mine in this...DSCN1171.JPG
he doesn't have a clue that this is outside... yours should never know either..DSCN1198.JPG

and I was involved in turtle and tortoise rescue and my family involved for longer, and we have seen many beloved family dogs play with a tortoise and kill it...I keep Sulcata tortoises, from the Savanna in Nother Africa...lions cannot eat them because the lions face can't get to any meat...the biggest predator of most pet tortoises is the family dog