Newbie located in Iowa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie24

5 Year Member
:tort: I have been looking at many different tortoise species! And it is just simply overwhelming! I love the look of the Leopards but am concerned living in Iowa that it isn't warm enough(I keep my house set at about 60-65° in winter) but could put a heating pad under and a light over inclosure. I have seen Sulcatas and Russian's in person amd love that they come up to you and eat out of your hand! Some people are trying to talk me into Greeks because they stay smaller. But are they easier(need less humidity and heat year round )and than Leopards?? Also is it okay to buy from an online breeder that lives states away from me, or is that too hard on the baby? *If my requirements were outgoing personality, doesn't hibernate, ornate looking shell, not a picky eater, and can do well in Iowa(outdoor in summer only)---which Species of Tort would you suggest and why?? And where do you suggest I buy from? [Is tortoisesupply ok or theturtleaource even though they are far away for shipping]
Thank you for an
y and ALL information!!!!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
Welcome to the forum. I would suggest a Russian or a Greek. My first was a Sulcata, and I wouldn't change a thing. But he is a lot of work, and when wasn't kept warm enough, my fault, he got sick and I had an almost $350 vet bill. Russians, which was the 2nd tort I got, is a real breeze to care for. Good luck on you decision! And feel free to ask as many questions as you want, and post some pictures when you get one. Also, I got Cooper from Woody's in Arizona and he was overnighted to Indiana with no problems.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) first, tortoisesupply is a great place, and a member of the forum. Tyler, the owner is very helpful with any question you might have. I live in Chicago and have a leopard. As for winter months, it really depends on what you can afford. Do you have the means to house him/her outside when its large enough or a basement you could convert to his home? 60-65 is not warm enough for any tortoise to live without a place to warm up. They have to be able to warm up to 85 in order to properly digest their food. The brumating species maybe your better choice as you don't have to take care of them in the winter months if you brumate them. Take a read of Toms threads below on raising a leopard and sulcata and see if that's what you want to do for approx. two years. The same would high humidity is also needed for the Red Foots.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Welcome! I own a greek myself and I love them oh so much! They are a lot more simple to raise compared to the other two you mentioned but I tell you now, they still requires a lot of attention! Well not as much as the other two...

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello Katie and Welcome to TFO!! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Katie, and welcome to the Forum!

If you get a species that hibernates, then your weather won't matter too much. I think a Russian is a good choice for a first tortoise.

Katie24

5 Year Member
Is there a Russian type that has an ornate looking shell? I found a picture of a Libyan Greek, those shells are artwork! Do Greeks hibernate also? Are the Libyan's any harder to care for than the ones you guys are talking about??

Katie24

5 Year Member
If I put a heating pad under the hiding box side and a heat lamp over the other side would that be efficient for a Greek?? Could you upload a pic of your indoor and outdoor inclosure for him?

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
I've got a Jordanian Greek and also live in Iowa. I've only had her for going on two months now. All the research I've done, our weather is more than OK. I won't be hibernating her because she doesn't really need to. The way I see, which could be wrong, tort's hibernate because they know the weather is going to be too cold for them to survive. So if you provide a stable climate that doesn't change, I don't see a need to hibernate them. I actually think that Southern Greek subspecies don't usually hibernate in the wild. But a lot of that is depending on where they're from. I've got an outside enclosure set up for her that I might actually bring in during the winter. My son has a preschool teacher that has a Russian that does just fine here as well. My take is if you get one that stays relatively small that you can make an indoor enclosure big enough for them for the winter, you'll be just fine.

My vote is for a Southern Greek. They experience the hot, cold, and humid, and dry. Which is a pretty good mix of our weather in Iowa.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Welcome. I too live in Iowa and have had great luck with Redfoots (mine spend the late spring, summer, and early fall outside). They very ornate, fairly forgiving, and very outgoing.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
Welcome. I am from South Dakota, your neighbor :D I actually have a leopard tortoise. He is a hatchling and still very small. But What I have done for him, is bought a tv stand (this is an example, an aquarium, tortoise table, or just a wooden closed chamber would work) And I have converted it into a Closed Chamber, and I keep it in my room. It provides plenty of space, and with the whole thing being closed temps stay at 90 degrees, and between 75-85% humidity, which is great for leopards. I also bought a 4x4 garden bed and made an outdoor enclosure for him in the summer so he gets outside time as well .I am making it work just fine, even with our regions bad weather. If you did get a redfoot, leopard, sulcata, yellow foot, or any species that need humidity, a closed chamber is the way to go, just search on the forum. Honestly though with tortoises you need to plan for the future. If you plan to stay in iowa for the next 10-15 years, I wouldn't suggest a leopard or sulcata because they would be extremely difficult to house indoors, unless you have an extra room in the house you can give to the tortoise. Redfoots only grow maybe between 9-16 inches, but they are larger than russians, and greeks, and need humidity, so youd need to figure out what to house it in to make humidity levels high. If you plan on staying in Iowa I would suggest a russian or greek because of the easy level of care, and the low humidity requirements as well as small housing. Word of caution : do not buy from backwater reptiles. My first tortoise was really sick when I got it. I got my leopard from LLLreptile, and it came healthy, active, and has a very outgoing personality for a hatchling. He lets me pet his head and scratch his neck and he is just a cute little guy. As long as you know your limitations and know what you can care for, I would say get whatever suits your fancy, but make sure you can provide proper care. Tortoises aren't like dogs or cats that die in 15 years, they could spend there lives with you.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome... a Russian would probably be a good choice. They are very forgiving and can tolerate more then other species. As far as the redfoots go, there are no comparison to sulcatas or leopards. I think as far as temps go russians can handle cooler temps with some lights also. Good luck on your decision...

Katie24

5 Year Member
I do have a large house with a basement that could be converted to whatever is needed for fall and winter months. It seems like everyone agrees that Russian would suit me best! But are there different colored shells within Russians?? Or are they all pretty much the same look? Are the majority of Russians outgoing? The ones I saw in a Pet Store were all one color mainly. Is there some that have color variety on their shells?

jeffstort

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:) first, tortoisesupply is a great place, and a member of the forum. Tyler, the owner is very helpful with any question you might have. I live in Chicago and have a leopard. As for winter months, it really depends on what you can afford. Do you have the means to house him/her outside when its large enough or a basement you could convert to his home? 60-65 is not warm enough for any tortoise to live without a place to warm up. They have to be able to warm up to 85 in order to properly digest their food. The brumating species maybe your better choice as you don't have to take care of them in the winter months if you brumate them. Take a read of Toms threads below on raising a leopard and sulcata and see if that's what you want to do for approx. two years. The same would high humidity is also needed for the Red Foots.

I live in Chicago to

Status
Not open for further replies.