New rehome...

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stells

Went and picked this one up today... nightmare of a journey... going was ok... but on the way back a 1 and 3/4 hour trip took 3 hours due to signal failure on the train tracks :rolleyes:

She is bigger than i expected and i'm guessing probably 3-4 years old.... she is 4 inches in length and weighs just 182g... I was told she was 1 year old... and never saw a picture of her before picking her up...

I'm calling her Daisy... she came with the name Dasha but i think she deserves a prettier name... it seems i am getting quite a collection of misfit tortoises

She has had a soak... and eaten already... i did end up handfeeding though as she grabs at the air due to her eyes....and has done some basking under her combined bulb...

Here she is...
tortoises898.jpg

Parrot beaked and a view of one of her eyes...
tortoises900.jpg

tortoises899.jpg

Pretty though...
tortoises902.jpg

I'll keep you updated on any progress...

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
Oh she is so pretty!! What is wrong with her eyes? Poor little thing.
I love the name Daisy! (I had a rat named Daisy :))

It's good to know that she's in great hands now!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Uhhg!!! I hate it when this happens. Good luck. I'm sure she'll be all fixed up in no time with you. Philosophically, I always think things happen for a reason. Maybe she had to endure some tough times, so that she would end up with you in the long run. I'd sure be happy to be one of your torts.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Oh Kelly, what a horror. Will her eyes get better or is that it? Poor baby. Well, she is home now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
From the front it just looks like her eyes are closed, but from the side it actually looks like there is no eyeball in there. What's the deal?

She actually looks pretty good (shell-wise) for being a blind tortoise. How lucky that she WANTS to eat.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
So Poor Daisy has now become Lucky Daisy.

What standard procedures do you go through with rescues, Kelly? Do the previous owners ever pitch in with a donation for the first Vet visit? :rolleyes:

How many tortoises do you keep right now, and how many of those are rescues? Do a lot of them find new homes after you've nursed them back to health? :cool:

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
is she a russian? She has me all confused?

no huh? herman? what is she?

M

Maggie Cummings

She's beautiful Kelly. She's a Russian isn't she? Do you have Terramycin eye ointment there? I can send you some if you can't get it there. It is a miracle drug and has helped numerous torts or turtles that I have ended up with that looked that way. I really would be glad to send you some so let me know.... it's an easy trip to the post office for me...

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Daisy will fit right in with everyone else. :D She'll be going from strength to strength in no time. :)

Danny xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

S

stells

Thanks everyone...

I'm not sure what has happened to her... i have no history on her whatsoever... i don't know what diet she was fed... what lighting she had... how long her eyes have been that way... you get the idea...

I do believe she has eyes... gut feeling... and she keeps rubbing at them and there are flicking motions under the lids... i'm trying to be hopeful for her... she is having soaks twice daily at the moment as she seems pretty dehydrated... she is the only Horsfield i have that actually likes a bath... and when dripping water over her head she is trying to suck it up....

Ahhh Stephanie... the rescue's. well i have never had a donation for any vets fees... i have though paid to get them out of the situation... this one cost me £30... just how it seems to work for me... i have had other rehomes that haven't cost me... but if i have to pay for them so be it... much to Dannys dismay lol

None of them have ever left once getting here... i can't do it... not after the time and effort i have put in with some of them... i just can't do it... its bad enough having the prospect ahead of me of selling my own hatchlings... i know its going to cause upset... i'm a softie really... even if people don't believe it lol

I currently have 31 tortoises... soon to be 30 :( due to me selling one of my little Horsfield hatchlings :(

7 of which are rescue/rehomes...

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Scooter said:
What causes the parrot beak and it is reversible?

Yes, I've never heard of this. Is it fixable? She is a beauty though =] She's in good hands now!

Status
Not open for further replies.