Location (City and/or State)
Floresville, Texas
1009121544.jpg
1009121612.jpg
1009121613.jpg
1009121613a.jpg
1009121612b.jpg
1009121612a.jpg
:D I found this girl on CL. I picked her up on Tuesday. In The pic the seller sent me I just fell in love with her. When my wife saw her the first time she exclaimed "She's beautiful!" It's interesting that in the pic I was sent(which was a real time photo) she looked to be healthy and well cared for. However when I got there she was in an aquarium with only rabbit pellets for substrate, no water dish, no hide, and just a standard flood light. The seller said she had her for one year. The seller really seemed to love her, but was not well informed for proper care. Her nails are so long some are growing sideways and her beak is long. She is 6 1/2" long and weighs 1,009 grams. She had never been soaked and her eyes showed signs of dehydration. After I got her home I soaked her for 30 mins and then put her in an outdoor enclosure, which according to the seller would be the first time she would be on the ground. She walked around cautiously smelling all the plants, but I hadn't seen her eat any until this morning. I guess my point is you can't always tell from a pic, just what the real conditions are. Here are some pics of her in her new home. Also any ideas if she was WC and what subspecies?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She might be WC, however, she's a long term captive. All that yellow growth is from lots of growing indoors. She is a beautiful steppe tortoise. I don't know how to tell them apart, so can't help you with sub species.

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas
emysemys said:
She might be WC, however, she's a long term captive. All that yellow growth is from lots of growing indoors. She is a beautiful steppe tortoise. I don't know how to tell them apart, so can't help you with sub species.

Thanks. I didn't know why some were more yellow than other. Will she get darker now from being outdoors?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, that part will always be lighter, but maybe not quite as light. With a slower, more even growth she'll start looks more "normal." She needs to be fed an appropriate amount for her size and to get plenty of outdoor exercise.

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas
emysemys said:
No, that part will always be lighter, but maybe not quite as light. With a slower, more even growth she'll start looks more "normal." She needs to be fed an appropriate amount for her size and to get plenty of outdoor exercise.

So the "yellow" was caused by poor diet(they fed her carrots and squash) and lack of exercise?
Well she is now in and 8' X 16' pen during the day. There are plenty of native weeds and grasses, as well as some I've added. I'm also going to see if she will eat some spring mix today. Right now our outside temp is 85 degrees with 65% humidity. Does all this sound good, or do you have any suggestions? Thanks very much for your help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, it's faster than normal growth.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
She'll look good with a friend! The little girl i'm bringing you eats like a horse, you might have to plant some more weeds to keep up with her!

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas
jtrux said:
She'll look good with a friend! The little girl i'm bringing you eats like a horse, you might have to plant some more weeds to keep up with her!

That's great I'll plant whatever I need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.