New hatchling, shell question

socialworker81

5 Year Member
Hello! Sorry it has been so long since I have posted! Time can get away from me! I recently had two red foot tortoise hatchlings and another egg ready to hatch at anytime. I have had several Russian tortoise eggs hatch, but these are the first redfoots I have had. I wasn't sure if I should post this here or on the tortoise health page...
Anyway, the first tortoise hatched on 5/13/15. The second one started hatching on the morning of 5/24/15 and was not completely hatched until around 5:00 PM on 5/25/15. I was a little concerned about how long it took for the little guy to come out. I was also a little concerned with his shell. It was very high, as opposed to long, but again this is my first redfoot hatchling. The little guy started eating well and drinking but still had a strange looking shell. I moved him to the enclosure with his sibling and he is still doing well, but I am concerned about his shell, it hasn't evened out and now it is flaking a little. He is on the right side, the first born is on the left, Sorry, they are a little dirty, I had to unbury them to get the picture. I wish the lighitng was better, to show how beautiful redfoot hatchlings can be!image.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you keeping them with higher humidity? @N2TORTS may be able to shed ( no pun intended) some light on the situation.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
At this point, I am not. I have sphagnum moss in the enclosure. I had a mister for the adults, but I had to order one online for the babies, as I couldn't find one locally. It still hasn't arrived. Maybe that will solve the problem? I'm the meantime, I have been soaking them Nd changing the water everyday.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
The " high dome is not to worry....it will flatten out as the hatchling ages. You can attribute this "high dome" from being curled up in the egg, as well as receiving any genetics from the parents. I have a High Dome Adult Cherry who always produces high dome babies. It's just another trait that carries on within those gene lines. Don't expect hatching times to be consistent within any clutches ....as there are always surprises:oops:. I myself keep the "fresh" hatchlings within the bator' for a few days in another type container/medium until the yolk sac has completely absorbed, before moving them into the nursery.
Congrads on your New babies ....:)

socialworker81

5 Year Member
Thank you for the help! The parents do have different shapes, I never knew if it was from traits or from pyramiding. I rescued them from a pet store and they were full grown with terrible pyramiding, but otherwise the adults are healthy. I haven't ever left the hatchlings in the incubator. I have been putting them in a small container with heat and wet paper towels until the sac is gone. He just started eating two days ago, so that's when I moved him. Thank you again for the advice! I will post more pics in the future!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
just make sure you keep your new little ones well hydrated. A shallow warm soak just above knee line. You will see them drink within24 hours after being out of the egg. They look like weeble wobbles as their yolk sac prevents them from reaching all fours on the ground. Once again hats off to your efforts and new babies.:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Thank you for the help! The parents do have different shapes, I never knew if it was from traits or from pyramiding. I rescued them from a pet store and they were full grown with terrible pyramiding, but otherwise the adults are healthy. I haven't ever left the hatchlings in the incubator. I have been putting them in a small container with heat and wet paper towels until the sac is gone. He just started eating two days ago, so that's when I moved him. Thank you again for the advice! I will post more pics in the future!

Soak them every day for the first few months and put some greens and their rinsed egg shells in those brooder boxes with the damp paper towels.