Shell Question

Rachel Wilham

Location (City and/or State)
Central Illinois
20151011_180309.jpg We got Tank about 2 months ago from a breeder. His shell is different than that of my first redfoot, which we just assumed was due to individual differences in growth, but after looking at all the redfoots on this forum, we are kind of concerned about it. Are those strange spots anything to be concerned about or will they change to look like the other redfoots we have seen?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Just looks like split schutes to me which make him individual and unique. Hatch out that way I think it's due to temps that are low while incubating. This usually results in female...you sure he's a he? Lol. If you post more pics from above him we can see better. There is something called metabolic(I think) bone disease MBD that causes something similar...it warps the shell though and is usually accompanied by pyramiding. Usually. He seems very smooth.

Rachel Wilham

Central Illinois
Just looks like split schutes to me which make him individual and unique. Hatch out that way I think it's due to temps that are low while incubating. This usually results in female...you sure he's a he? Lol. If you post more pics from above him we can see better. There is something called metabolic(I think) bone disease MBD that causes something similar...it warps the shell though and is usually accompanied by pyramiding. Usually. He seems very smooth.
We aren't completely sure that he's a he. We were told that the breeder would send us a male and from our very limited knowledge of tortoises, we decided that he is a he. But we'd love him (her?) either way! :)
Thanks for the info, we kind of thought the same, but better safe than sorry!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
We aren't completely sure that he's a he. We were told that the breeder would send us a male and from our very limited knowledge of tortoises, we decided that he is a he. But we'd love him (her?) either way! :)
Thanks for the info, we kind of thought the same, but better safe than sorry!
Hi Rachel. What size is this redfoot?