My tortoise is not eating after antibot and is only sleeping

FFF7

Location (City and/or State)
al ain
He should be able to get deep shade with cooler temps at about 24 C, and the hot spots shouldn't consistently reach over 40 C. If the temps you are listing are correct he is probably too hot. You should offer him a cooler spot ASAP so he can regulate his body temperature correctly. Also you should have thermometers on the tortoise shell level to make sure the temps are correct. Also, the temps at night shouldn't drop under 16 C.
So do I get him inside and turn the ac ?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
So do I get him inside and turn the ac ?
Well that might be a temporary solution, but you should look into getting a tortoise hide that offers enough shade so that part of your outdoor enlousure will have lower temps. Adding humidity like the previous messages suggest will also help with lowering the temps. Misting might bring temporary relief, but you should moisten your substrate by pouring some water in it and squeezing the substrate down.

Have you read the care sheet linked earlier? It has info on the proper temps, enclosure size etc.

FFF7

al ain
I tried giving her grapes she started eating again but few bites then stoped
Well that might be a temporary solution, but you should look into getting a tortoise hide that offers enough shade so that part of your outdoor enlousure will have lower temps. Adding humidity like the previous messages suggest will also help with lowering the temps. Misting might bring temporary relief, but you should moisten your substrate by pouring some water in it and squeezing the substrate down.

Have you read the care sheet linked earlier? It has info on the proper temps, enclosure size etc.

FFF7

al ain
The greenhouse is for indoors.
If you can get him outside about 3-4 times a week for an hour of natural sun, you don't need a uvb light.
You will need a incandescent flood bulb for basking that reaches temps of 95-100
If temps go below 70 at night, then you may need a ceramic heat emitter for night heat.
He started to eat again after giving her a soak

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I keep him outside the temps are at 38c
You don't keep him outside in the plastic tote do you?
If so, that's no good. A greenhouse would also be to hot
Build an outside enclosure with lots of shade and a hide that's in the shade
Use fencing, brick, wood planks, etc to build it.
However,being only 1 years old, he should be in your house in a closed chamber enclosure.

FFF7

al ain
I'm not familiar with his diet, but fruit is bad for most tortoises.
I only give her lettuce I tried grape he started eating it then he ate lettuce I will make an indoor home for him but I dont now what yo get

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The pictures of the greenhouses above is what you need to try and buy or build
Then get a bulb that says the same thing as in the picture, incandescent flood bulb. Take the tortoise outside about 3 times a week for uvb but be sure there is lots of shade and take him out in the cooler part of the day, morning or late afternoon.
Check this website out for food safe items
Screenshot_20240514-082324.png

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I only give her lettuce I tried grape he started eating it then he ate lettuce I will make an indoor home for him but I dont now what yo get
You should add more variety to his diet. Lettuce is very low in fiber and not good to feed consistently.

FFF7

al ain
The pictures of the greenhouses above is what you need to try and buy or build
Then get a bulb that says the same thing as in the picture, incandescent flood bulb. Take the tortoise outside about 3 times a week for uvb but be sure there is lots of shade and take him out in the cooler part of the day, morning or late afternoon.
Check this website out for food safe items
View attachment 370629
Do you know what soil I should use I use pot soil

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it is this one I want to know if I turn on the ac and what temp do I keep it at night anddayView attachment 370645
Yes, this is the right one.
If temps are too high in the house/enclosure without out the basking bulb, then yes, I would put AC on so you can get her temps right. But if you can get her temps right without the AC on then no need to turn it on.

FFF7

al ain
Yes, this is the right one.
If temps are too high in the house/enclosure without out the basking bulb, then yes, I would put AC on so you can get her temps right. But if you can get her temps right without the AC on then no need to turn it on.
Thank you for helping me

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
From what I have seen, your tortoise is going to continue to suffer and probably die if you do not follow the advice that has been given. He is much too DRY. The bumpy shell (this is called "Pyramiding" in tortoises), tells the story of his being kept too dry for too long. Your tortoise must be given a long warmish soak twice per day for at least half an hour each time. His enclosure MUST be covered, if only by a shower curtain liner with holes cut out for the lights to shine down through it from above, if you cannot afford the portable greenhouse. He must have a proper diet - lettuce is no good nutrition wise and only provides water. He must have space to walk within his enclosure and hide out of the heat, which along with the dryness, will kill him quickly.
I am sorry that your other tortoise died, but please, believe now that you have done something very good by coming here and trying to follow the best advice you will find. Don't despair and leave. We all have had some bad experiences including me and many others here, we all have suffered when our animals have died and it's because we did not know the right things! Stay with us and try to save your tortoise. Thank you! We welcome you and wish you all that's good!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
From what I have seen, your tortoise is going to continue to suffer and probably die if you do not follow the advice that has been given. He is much too DRY. The bumpy shell (this is called "Pyramiding" in tortoises), tells the story of his being kept too dry for too long. Your tortoise must be given a long warmish soak twice per day for at least half an hour each time. His enclosure MUST be covered, if only by a shower curtain liner with holes cut out for the lights to shine down through it from above, if you cannot afford the portable greenhouse. He must have a proper diet - lettuce is no good nutrition wise and only provides water. He must have space to walk within his enclosure and hide out of the heat, which along with the dryness, will kill him quickly.
I am sorry that your other tortoise died, but please, believe now that you have done something very good by coming here and trying to follow the best advice you will find. Don't despair and leave. We all have had some bad experiences including me and many others here, we all have suffered when our animals have died and it's because we did not know the right things! Stay with us and try to save your tortoise. Thank you! We welcome you and wish you all that's good!
Actually it's better for the lights and heat to be inside the chamber. No holes if possible. The holes work like a chimney and pulls heat and humidity out.
But either way for this one is better than nothing.