My tort is not well

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mansfield Nottinghamshire United kingdom
My Russian tortoise Clyde was put on fortum antibiotic injections last Wednesday for a ri he was prescribed 3 injections to be given every 72hours he had his last one yesterday I'm worried about him as there as been no change at all in him since he's been on the injections his symptoms which alarmed me was forthe last 6 weeks he as been constantly in his hide box only coming out if I take him out to soak the goin straight back in can hear a tiny popping sound when he breaths his aPetite as decreased a lot to hardly eating he is swallowing a lot when in his soak and his head is bobbing a lot he. Has had no bubbles or mucous from noes or mouth at all what I av seen only once under his nares his beak was a little wet he as eaten twice in 7 days bsmall amounts the second time it appeared he as difficulty swallowing something he ate as he was swallowing for around 5 mins I tried to look in his mouth but was unable to open it he stopped swallowing and went to sleep I bathed him yesterday and once out the bath he passed some very thick yellow coloured urine with some soft urates in it he is nt pooing but is nt really eating I'm am beside my self with worry I av put the carrot puréed in his soak which he is drinking how long should it take for the antibiotics to have some affect or should I look into having him tested for portroza iv upped his enclosure temps to 80-85f day and night I don't no what to do he is just so lathargic and sleeps all day when I wake him he is alert and his eyes are fully open I'm beside myself with worry any suggestions please there is my Clyde after his soak 2 days ago

Attachments

• IMG_1618.JPG
    IMG_1618.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 53

Kasia

Poland
My Russian tortoise Clyde was put on fortum antibiotic injections last Wednesday for a ri he was prescribed 3 injections to be given every 72hours he had his last one yesterday I'm worried about him as there as been no change at all in him since he's been on the injections his symptoms which alarmed me was forthe last 6 weeks he as been constantly in his hide box only coming out if I take him out to soak the goin straight back in can hear a tiny popping sound when he breaths his aPetite as decreased a lot to hardly eating he is swallowing a lot when in his soak and his head is bobbing a lot he. Has had no bubbles or mucous from noes or mouth at all what I av seen only once under his nares his beak was a little wet he as eaten twice in 7 days bsmall amounts the second time it appeared he as difficulty swallowing something he ate as he was swallowing for around 5 mins I tried to look in his mouth but was unable to open it he stopped swallowing and went to sleep I bathed him yesterday and once out the bath he passed some very thick yellow coloured urine with some soft urates in it he is nt pooing but is nt really eating I'm am beside my self with worry I av put the carrot puréed in his soak which he is drinking how long should it take for the antibiotics to have some affect or should I look into having him tested for portroza iv upped his enclosure temps to 80-85f day and night I don't no what to do he is just so lathargic and sleeps all day when I wake him he is alert and his eyes are fully open I'm beside myself with worry any suggestions please there is my Clyde after his soak 2 days ago
Hi :)
Antibiotics itself can badly influence apetite. Did the Vet take an X-ray/draw blood or did a fecal exam? If not I would take him in again and for further testing. Maybe it is more then URI maybe pneumonia and more/different antibiotic is needed. If you don't see any improvement go to the Vet ASAP. Good luck for you both.

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Hi antibiotics itself can badly influence apetite, did the Vet take an X-ray or did a fecal exam? If not I would take him in again and ask for both. Maybe it is more then URI maybe pneumonia and more / different antibiotic is needed. If you don't see any improvement go to the Vet ASAP. Good luck for you both.
Yea he did A X-ray and say nothing untoward in it he did nt do a fecal sample said he wants to do blood work if no improvement before the fecal my tort was fine 6 weeks ago he's just so diffrent now how long should I give to see if the antibiotic picks him up before goin back

Kasia

Poland
Yea he did A X-ray and say nothing untoward in it he did nt do a fecal sample said he wants to do blood work if no improvement before the fecal my tort was fine 6 weeks ago he's just so diffrent now how long should I give to see if the antibiotic picks him up before goin back
Fecal is non invasive so when you're at the clinic ask him to do both there is no point in waiting. I would say that after 3 shots 10 days there should be an improvement at least he should be more active. I wouldn't wait and would bring him back to the clinic ASAP.

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Fecal is non invasive so when you're at the clinic ask him to do both there is no point in waiting. I would say that after 3 shots 10 days there should be an improvement at least he should be more active. I wouldn't wait and brought him back to the clinic ASAP.
Well it was 7 days yesterday that they started and finished the problem is as he's not really eating there is no poop to examine I think the vet did nt have a clue to be honest and stuck him on antibiotics but I will get some transport organized and take him back so u think I should have to bloods done is that the best way to go I im thinkin it may be more a parasite issue would that make him lathargic

Kasia

Poland
Well it was 7 days yesterday that they started and finished the problem is as he's not really eating there is no poop to examine I think the vet did nt have a clue to be honest and stuck him on antibiotics but I will get some transport organized and take him back so u think I should have to bloods done is that the best way to go I im thinkin it may be more a parasite issue would that make him lathargic
I think he should be more active if he was getting better - apetite could be suppressed by drugs. If he's not that suggests it might not be RI and yes parasites could mirror RI symptoms. You don't need poop for a fecal Vet can take a swab from cloaca and it takes couple of minutes for results. I would follow your instincts and if needed change your Vet. If you don't feel his competent find someone that will actually know what he's doing. And yes to save your little guy next trip I would get blood examined for uric acid and calcium to phosphorus ratio to check how his kidneys and liver are doing.

Last edited:

Laura1412

5 Year Member
I think he should be more active if he was getting better - apetite could be suppressed by drugs. If he's not that suggests it might not be RI and yes parasites could mirror RI symptoms. You don't need poop for a fecal Vet can take a swab from cloaca and it takes couple of minutes for results. I would follow your instincts and if needed change your Vet. If you don't feel his competent find someone that will actually know what he's doing. And yes to save your little guy next trip I would get blood examined for uric acid and calcium to phosphorus ratio to check how his kidneys and liver are doing.
Thank u I'll get looking for a diffrent vet if I can get a urine sample are the vets able to test that also as his urine yesterday was really thick and yellowish colour he always drinks plenty in his soak so that's good int it

Kasia

Poland
Thank u I'll get looking for a diffrent vet if I can get a urine sample are the vets able to test that also as his urine yesterday was really thick and yellowish colour he always drinks plenty in his soak so that's good int it
@Laura1412
If you soak him daily that is not good. Vet probably will not test the sample so no need to take it :( but a picture and info about it should ring a bell. That's a serious symptom! Don't ignore it. Blood work will tell your Vet in what shape are your Clyde kidneys and liver. Daily soaks about 20 minutes should eliminate thickness and yellowish color if not something it's wrong. Sometimes feeding dandelions can cause yellowish color but not the thickness. ASAP to the Vet. I keep mine fingers crossed for your little guy. Keep us updated:) and I will call upon experts @Yvonne G @JoesMum

Last edited:

Laura1412

5 Year Member
@Kasia iv been back to vet today with Clyde he checked him over said his retraction is very. Good and alert he has tested his pooped sample and said there is worm eggs in it so he's given him pancur medication he's got to have a second wormer in 2 weeks but he said if I don't see any improvement in a couple of days to take him back next week and he's goin to blood tests Clyde wee while he was there and it was normal clear with soft urates so hopefully what I seen was just the antibiotic coming out still not eaten but given me some critical care to put in his soak he wanted to give me repti boost instead but they was out of it

Kasia

Poland
@Kasia iv been back to vet today with Clyde he checked him over said his retraction is very. Good and alert he has tested his pooped sample and said there is worm eggs in it so he's given him pancur medication he's got to have a second wormer in 2 weeks but he said if I don't see any improvement in a couple of days to take him back next week and he's goin to blood tests Clyde wee while he was there and it was normal clear with soft urates so hopefully what I seen was just the antibiotic coming out still not eaten but given me some critical care to put in his soak he wanted to give me repti boost instead but they was out of it
Yeeey maybe worms got the best of him. I hope he will start eating in next couple of days. Mine Russian Rufin caught pinworms during summer three years ago. He have not eaten for a while back then and I didn't know what the heck is going on. After deworming he got all better quite fast. 3-4 days after the first dose I noticed a huge difference. Correct diagnosis is crucial. I feel sorry for your Clyde if he got those antibiotic injections for nothing. Poor guy :( I will be waiting for good news Laura :) Fingers crossed:)

Last edited:

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Yeeey maybe worms got the best of him. I hope he will start eating in next couple of days. Mine Russian Rufin caught pinworms during summer three years ago. He have not eaten for a while back then and I didn't know what the heck is going on. After deworming he got all better quite fast. 3-4 days after the first dose I noticed a huge difference. Correct diagnosis is crucial. I feel sorry for your Clyde if he got those antibiotic injections for nothing. Poor guy :( I will be waiting for good news Laura :) Fingers crossed:)
Yea me too bless him I'm hopin it's the worms he is still making the little popping sound but the vet said no other resporitry distress to warrant antibiotics his eyes noes and mouth are all fine so glad I changed vets iv took out the substrate and disenfected the box put in kitchen towel and a fine layer of orchid bark how often do I change substrate and disenfect while treating for worms do u no

Kasia

Poland
Yea me too bless him I'm hopin it's the worms he is still making the little popping sound but the vet said no other resporitry distress to warrant antibiotics his eyes noes and mouth are all fine so glad I changed vets iv took out the substrate and disenfected the box put in kitchen towel and a fine layer of orchid bark how often do I change substrate and disenfect while treating for worms do u no
For the time of treatment (a week after the second dose) I would keep him just on paper towels and replace those which actually get dirty. It will help you trace his pees and poops as well. Afterwards fresh substrate.

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Well iv put him so coco coir in the hide box coz he loves digging and can't dig in paper towel I will just change it every few days and put fresh in what substrate do u use for ur Russian if u don't mind me asking

Kasia

Poland
Well iv put him so coco coir in the hide box coz he loves digging and can't dig in paper towel I will just change it every few days and put fresh in what substrate do u use for ur Russian if u don't mind me asking
I use a mixture of coco coir and organic soil. My enclosure is 2m X 2m big so I need a lot of that stuff... I never replace it whole. I just clean pooped and peed on areas, add some if I dig up too much. I have a layer of about 25 cm substrate.

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Yea I had coir but not mixed I'm thinking tho now of mixing with steralised top soil do u moistenur substrtae down by missing or tipping in water my enclosure is 4ftx6ft and my substare abut 5 inch deep

Kasia

Poland
Yea I had coir but not mixed I'm thinking tho now of mixing with steralised top soil do u moistenur substrtae down by missing or tipping in water my enclosure is 4ftx6ft and my substare abut 5 inch deep
Yes I put fair amount of water inside and if it starts to get dry I put some more.