My tort is not well

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
Ok Kasia thanks I'm sorry to keep askin but with ur substate having water in what is ur humidity and also what is ur night temp
It varies a lot. I have an open enclosure at my attic. Two of them to be precise. During the summer it can be close to 60% - 75% RH with overall 25 deg Celsius (attic is not that well insulated), still my torts spend there just the evening period and night hours. Most of the time they roam in my garden. During fall and winter period I fight for 30-35% RH and overall 20 deg Celsius. My other tort is Ernie a Leopard Tortoise so that's the lowest I can go. He is three years old this year. I recently (this winter) upgraded him to an open enclosure/garden time at all the time but his shell still needs humidity. Mine Rufin is about 30 years old. Life before me did not spoil him so I try to do my best. Aaa night temps I keep as at least 20 deg C because Nini my other tort. For Rufin himself it could be much lower.

Last edited:

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Mansfield Nottinghamshire United kingdom
It varies a lot. I have an open enclosure at my attic. Two of them to be precise. During the summer it can be close to 60% - 75% RH with overall 25 deg Celsius (attic is not that well insulated), still my torts spend there just the evening period and night hours. Most of the time they roam in my garden. During fall and winter period I fight for 30-35% RH and overall 20 deg Celsius. My other tort is Ernie a Leopard Tortoise so that's the lowest I can go. He is three years old this year. I recently (this winter) upgraded him to an open enclosure/garden time at all the time but his shell still needs humidity. Mine Rufin is about 30 years old. Life before me did not spoil him so I try to do my best. Aaa night temps I keep as at least 20 deg C because Nini my other tort. For Rufin himself it could be much lower.
Thank as Clyde was bein treat for a Ri I ad his enclosure temps 80f day and night I'm still keepin them up as he's still makin that little poppingsound the strate in his hide box as some moisture in there but if I squeeze it just crumbles up don't hold it's shape if that makes sense the humidity in there is 67% but at the mo my temp is 79/80f but once I reduce the temps am goin to try n keep the hide box around 75f do u think that should be ok as I'm so frightened of him becoming sick or sicker

Kasia

Poland
Thank as Clyde was bein treat for a Ri I ad his enclosure temps 80f day and night I'm still keepin them up as he's still makin that little poppingsound the strate in his hide box as some moisture in there but if I squeeze it just crumbles up don't hold it's shape if that makes sense the humidity in there is 67% but at the mo my temp is 79/80f but once I reduce the temps am goin to try n keep the hide box around 75f do u think that should be ok as I'm so frightened of him becoming sick or sicker
Overall 75 F sounds ok for me that is nearly 24 deg C so on the warm side for a russian :). How old is your tortoise?

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Overall 75 F sounds ok for me that is nearly 24 deg C so on the warm side for a russian :). How old is your tortoise?
I'm not sure kasia iv had him early 2 years but I got him from local pet shop his shell length is about 5 inches do I keep my temps in the hide upto 80f for a little longer till his behaviour changes :)

Kasia

Poland
I'm not sure kasia iv had him early 2 years but I got him from local pet shop his shell length is about 5 inches do I keep my temps in the hide upto 80f for a little longer till his behaviour changes :)
That will not hurt him :) see what will make him comfortable:)

Kasia

Poland
Thank u so much for ur help under my basking lamp with temp gun reads 35 is that right or not hot enough
That's fine, if he's active he will decide on his own how long to spend under it. 35 deg C is perfect.

Laura1412

5 Year Member
@Kasia my Clyde goin back to vets tomorrow to have blood tests done just to c if there is any other problems goin on with him as he is still not active he as eaten friday and Sunday but just in the hide box all the time still do u think this bedding would be ok to use instead of the coco fibre

Attachments

• IMG_0984.PNG
    IMG_0984.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 22

Kasia

Poland
@Kasia my Clyde goin back to vets tomorrow to have blood tests done just to c if there is any other problems goin on with him as he is still not active he as eaten friday and Sunday but just in the hide box all the time still do u think this bedding would be ok to use instead of the coco fibre
Poor Clyde:( sorry to hear that. As for the substrate I never used that product, so I don't really know. Buy a bit to try and see how it goes.

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Poor Clyde:( sorry to hear that. As for the substrate I never used that product, so I don't really know. Buy a bit to try and see how it goes.
Thank u I'm hopin the blood test and X-rays that he as done are fine and it's just Clyde bein a pain and bein lazy but at least hopefully blood irk will show if there is something wrong :(

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Hi :) how did the visit go? Do you have any results? Substrate looks OK, did you tried to moist it down?
I ant put it in yet it's just in bucket waiting for the 2nd worm treatment next week before I put it in yea went back to vets my Clyde got a very small area on one lung that looks like lower ri/pneumonia waiting for blood results to come back to c what his white blood cells are showing and also to check his liver and kidneys :(