Is It Worth It? (getting a tortoise)

mizzox

just remember tortoise's and turtle aren't like cat's and dog's they aren't fluffy and cuddley most of the time they could careless about you honestly you're more of what we call food god you give them food and water so yeah they're happy to see you wouldn't you be if you thought a yummy treat was on the way

Yes, I understand that. I used to have guinea pigs and they were kind of like that. But the thing is that I wasn't really interested in guinea pigs but I'm really interested in tortoises. Yes I know they are completely different, but- nvm I'm getting off topic. Yes I understand that but I still love tortoises :)

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
I feel connected to you XD thanks for the reply. Nothing really stresses me out, but when I go on YouTube and watch the little guys eat it is so entertaining, so I guess I'm kinda like you. Thank you for telling me a little bit about your life with tortoises, it will help me think about getting one. (The russian tortoise lives up to 50 years) so as long as I am healthy, that won't matter :D maybe if any of your neighbors have a kid then they could take it. Or if you have any family members that would like to take it you could give it to them :) think about it then you could put in in your will :)
So sweet of you to say that. Thank you so much! I'm so glad I could help. And thanks for the suggestions! I do have 2 strong candidates, which is good because I do have 2 tortoises. And since they're not kept together, they may even end up going to different homes.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

mizzox

So sweet of you to say that. Thank you so much! I'm so glad I could help. And thanks for the suggestions! I do have 2 strong candidates, which is good because I do have 2 tortoises. And since they're not kept together, they may even end up going to different homes.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Happy to hear that :D

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I have loved turtles/ tortoises since I can remember remembering. I finally got my tortoise, a red foot, about 2 1/5 years ago. I'm 58. And all I can tell you is we love him. No he isn't a fuzzy cat or loving dog. But he is what he is. A magnificent creature. How he moves, eats, pokes around is always fascinating to us. I'm grateful to this forum for sooo much help. Finally, who says when you go to college you have to live in a dorm. I rented a house with other students. Room for torts.

mizzox

I have loved turtles/ tortoises since I can remember remembering. I finally got my tortoise, a red foot, about 2 1/5 years ago. I'm 58. And all I can tell you is we love him. No he isn't a fuzzy cat or loving dog. But he is what he is. A magnificent creature. How he moves, eats, pokes around is always fascinating to us. I'm grateful to this forum for sooo much help. Finally, who says when you go to college you have to live in a dorm. I rented a house with other students. Room for torts.

Thank you for sharing your opinion :) I'm sure I will love my tortoise very much, thank you for replying. :D I find them fascinating as well.

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
For me it's totally worth it. I've had my Russian for 6 or 7 years but I've only had my red foots for a couple of weeks. I feel so connected to the environment when I sit with and care for these wonderful creatures. Properly caring for them can be time consuming and they need daily care. As you get older and possibly more involved with extra curricular activities you'll have to make the time to care for them. For me the enjoyment I get from my torts it well worth the time I put in to them..and I'm a pretty busy mom, grandmother, wife, teacher and caretaker of my torts, a dog, cat, 5 mini donkeys and a beehive. I'm very impressed with the forethought you are putting into this decision. You'll make a great tort owner, if that is what you choose.

mizzox

For me it's totally worth it. I've had my Russian for 6 or 7 years but I've only had my red foots for a couple of weeks. I feel so connected to the environment when I sit with and care for these wonderful creatures. Properly caring for them can be time consuming and they need daily care. As you get older and possibly more involved with extra curricular activities you'll have to make the time to care for them. For me the enjoyment I get from my torts it well worth the time I put in to them..and I'm a pretty busy mom, grandmother, wife, teacher and caretaker of my torts, a dog, cat, 5 mini donkeys and a beehive. I'm very impressed with the forethought you are putting into this decision. You'll make a great tort owner, if that is what you choose.

Thanks :D I will totally think about that. It means a lot to me for you to reply :) and wow you have a lot on your hands (grandmother mom wife teacher)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
If you think of them as pets, you may be disappointed later on. If you think of them as marvelous creatures that you get to have in your life, it's worth it and more.

I do have times when I wish I didn't have so many species or habitats going.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum! I think it's worth it.I have had a wonderful Greek tort for a bit more than three years. I've NEVER had a pet before and was not expecting to LOVE my tort so much, believe me.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
If it were me, yes. It absolutely would be. I only have two torts and 6 turtles, (which could be considered not a lot :p ) and I just don't know what I'd do without them! I know a lot of other members have already said this, but torts take work. And money. And they aren't fluffy bunnies that want to cuddle. A lot of people I know wonder why I bother, they just don't see the point of having a pet that just 'sits there.' But really, it is so much more than that! All my guys have individual personalities, what they like and what they don't, and I'm still getting to know them :D They live a long time, and when you buy that animal, you make a commitment to him for life. That tort is depending on your for, everything, really. It sounds like you are fully aware of everything that comes with owing a little shelled friend, but I gotta say it anyway! :D
Good luck with your tort! Let us know when you (or if!) you get him :)

margykid

YES YES YES. DEFFINITELY.You give tortoises a lot of things(love, money and time) but they give you back double. Obviously not money but joy happiness and fun.They fill you up with love like no other animal can.They are exotic,'cool' and the best creatures on earth.Unlike other pets they live for a long time so can be your life long best friend. They teach you something new everyday, (even life lessons like slow and steady wins the race.) I understand why you are considering it but you sound like a SUPER DUPER owner and that's what all tortoises need. Everyone in the world who has that extra bit of love, time and care can find a specific tortoise that will suit them.I cannot suggest highly enough that you get a tortoise. Remember we are all always here to help and tons of us will be willing to look after your tortoise for a bit if money runs tight or you are on holiday, I'm sure. :);)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Although I don't think they are a,lot of work, they are until you get things right. Then, your always tweaking, trying to make it better, but to me, that's fun, not work.

You just bring the family out to my place for a couple of days. I'll show you what work is... :p

mizzox

If you think of them as pets, you may be disappointed later on. If you think of them as marvelous creatures that you get to have in your life, it's worth it and more.

That is something I never thought of... Well, thanks anyway! I think i'm the type of person that would do both :D

mizzox

Welcome to the forum! I think it's worth it.I have had a wonderful Greek tort for a bit more than three years. I've NEVER had a pet before and was not expecting to LOVE my tort so much, believe me.

I think I will be the same way :) thanks for replying :D

mizzox

If it were me, yes. It absolutely would be. I only have two torts and 6 turtles, (which could be considered not a lot :p ) and I just don't know what I'd do without them! I know a lot of other members have already said this, but torts take work. And money. And they aren't fluffy bunnies that want to cuddle. A lot of people I know wonder why I bother, they just don't see the point of having a pet that just 'sits there.' But really, it is so much more than that! All my guys have individual personalities, what they like and what they don't, and I'm still getting to know them :D They live a long time, and when you buy that animal, you make a commitment to him for life. That tort is depending on your for, everything, really. It sounds like you are fully aware of everything that comes with owing a little shelled friend, but I gotta say it anyway! :D
Good luck with your tort! Let us know when you (or if!) you get him :)

Yes I do know a lot :) Thank you for your reply. I think I will enjoy having a little friend with me sitting there. I will be commited to it :D

mizzox

YES YES YES. DEFFINITELY.You give tortoises a lot of things(love, money and time) but they give you back double. Obviously not money but joy happiness and fun.They fill you up with love like no other animal can.They are exotic,'cool' and the best creatures on earth.Unlike other pets they live for a long time so can be your life long best friend. They teach you something new everyday, (even life lessons like slow and steady wins the race.) I understand why you are considering it but you sound like a SUPER DUPER owner and that's what all tortoises need. Everyone in the world who has that extra bit of love, time and care can find a specific tortoise that will suit them.I cannot suggest highly enough that you get a tortoise. Remember we are all always here to help and tons of us will be willing to look after your tortoise for a bit if money runs tight or you are on holiday, I'm sure. :);)

That makes me feel good :) thank you i'm sure I will be a "super duper owner" because I just love em. Like, they are a part of me, I just love everything about them! I don't know what I will do if I don't get one in my lifetime. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

I agree with you. I love them as the in captivity wild animals they are, not as pets. The animals themselves give you so much including the pleasure of watching them hunt, play in the mudwallows, ect. What they directly give is actually just the start. With caring for them you learn so much about the outside world, about plants, far away (and sometimes near places), and then there are the neat folks you meet. For me atleast, stress and worries simply melt away as I am out working on my outdoor habitats or sitting watching (and losing hours:rolleyes:) the tortoises going about their daily activities.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You just bring the family out to my place for a couple of days. I'll show you what work is... :p

Oh, I will run circles around you and have fun. However, I will be able to come back home, while you will have to pick up, where I left off:p:D