Worth it to build an outdoor enclosure?

TheWarTortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Around 6 years ago I bought a Russian Tortoise at petco. I was younger, and I didn't know that you really shouldn't buy tortoises from places from Petco because their suppliers usually treat them awfully and take them from their natural habitats, instead of breeding them locally.

So naturally my Russian wants to escape out of every enclosed area that he gets put into. We used to have a garden that was around 20x10 ft, the ground covered with weeds. Basically a tortoise wonderland. And all he did was pace around the perimeter and claw at the corners. We've since covered the garden with pebbles to stop the weed growth, so I don't but him in there as much.

On the contrary, I bought a leopard tortoise around 4 years ago online from an actual breeder. My leopard, never knowing the outside world, never tried to escape when I built him an 8x10 ft outdoor enclosure.

So, the long story aside, is it worth it to build my Russian tortoise an outdoor enclosure the size of my leopard's outdoor enclosure when all he'll probably do is claw at the edges, not using the actual space? Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Once a tortoise understands the boundaries of his new territory, he'll settle down and stop trying to escape. Yes, of course! Make him a nice-sized, safe and secure outdoor enclosure. Plant it with eye-pleasing, edible plants and give him some hiding places, then sit back and enjoy him. It's only natural for a tortoise to try to escape and get back to the territory he's known. You have to leave him in his new territory until he claims it. That might take several weeks. Moving him back and forth here and there doesn't help.