Is It Worth It? (getting a tortoise)

mizzox

I am working hard to earn a pet tortoise at Christmas. I love tortoises (especially Russian) and I've done

sooo much research on them, I love every single thing about them. Everyone I know says i'm obsessed with

them cause I am constantly talking about them. But my question is, is it worth it? I'm thinking in my head

i'll probably love my tortoise for years to come but I need some personal experiences, I need to know what it

feels like to own a tortoise. I hope you can take a couple minutes to reply to this and tell me :) If you do it

will mean a lot to me, thanks for reading :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This answer will be different for every person on earth. It is worth it to me. I have 48 tortoises and 20 of them are Russians.

The question is: Is it worth it to you?

They are a lot of work, they cost time and money to take care of, and they need large enclosures to live in. They will also likely outlive your grandchildren, so long term care is an issue.

It is fantastic that you are considering all this BEFORE you bring a living animal into your home and care. Choose wisely.

mizzox

This answer will be different for every person on earth. It is worth it to me. I have 48 tortoises and 20 of them are Russians.

The question is: Is it worth it to you?

They are a lot of work, they cost time and money to take care of, and they need large enclosures to live in. They will also likely outlive your grandchildren, so long term care is an issue.

It is fantastic that you are considering all this BEFORE you bring a living animal into your home and care. Choose wisely.

Yeah, I did know that they live 50 years and they are a lot of work. Thank you for the reply :D I did a lot of research, at one point I was researching 30 minutes every day for one week. But thank you for this reply once again :D

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Hi,

To me, it is absolutely worth it!
I have 9 tortoises and like you, did a lot of research before getting each species. I have 7 Redfoots, 1 Greek and 1 desert tortoise.
Each species has special needs specific to them. I make sure that all tortoises look and act healthy daily. They are soaked frequently, humidity and temps maintained, as required.
They all have ( separate to species) large, secure outdoor enclosures, with insulated houses. Indoor housing also for Redfoots and anyone that needs it.
Should a tortoise seem ill, they are taken to a vet that specializes in exotics and specifically tortoises.
They are all given diets appropriate to them
I absolutely LOVE having and caring for these tortoises. I can't think of anything they need that they don't have.
You sound like you would make a wonderful Russian owner.
I must warn you........ It is addicting :)
Good luck!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I too, think it is worth it. However, like Tom said it's not cheap. Although I don't think they are a,lot of work, they are until you get things right. Then, your always tweaking, trying to make it better, but to me, that's fun, not work.
The biggest concern I would have for you is this. If your a kid, are your parents willing to pay what it cost to make it right for the tort? If your old enough to support a tort in your own, are you willing and able to spend what it takes?
In the end, they are well worth it. They are an animal that doesn't need or want your attention, so not needy that way, yet, will except it when given. Good luck on your quest.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Its worth it to me because I have the room, russians need a lot of room, and I have the $ to spend on what they need. Read this link of you have not. There is a ton of old outdated info out there & this really is all you need to know for russian care. They are fantastic creatures if you can provide all this :)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/russian-tortoises.81/

mizzox

Hi,

To me, it is absolutely worth it!
I have 9 tortoises and like you, did a lot of research before getting each species. I have 7 Redfoots, 1 Greek and 1 desert tortoise.
Each species has special needs specific to them. I make sure that all tortoises look and act healthy daily. They are soaked frequently, humidity and temps maintained, as required.
They all have ( separate to species) large, secure outdoor enclosures, with insulated houses. Indoor housing also for Redfoots and anyone that needs it.
Should a tortoise seem ill, they are taken to a vet that specializes in exotics and specifically tortoises.
They are all given diets appropriate to them
I absolutely LOVE having and caring for these tortoises. I can't think of anything they need that they don't have.
You sound like you would make a wonderful Russian owner.
I must warn you........ It is addicting :)
Good luck!

Thx so much, that was more of a reply I was looking for, thanks. It means so much to me for taking the time to just post something. That is exactly how I thought it would be for me owning a tortoise when I posted this :)

mizzox

I too, think it is worth it. However, like Tom said it's not cheap. Although I don't think they are a,lot of work, they are until you get things right. Then, your always tweaking, trying to make it better, but to me, that's fun, not work.
The biggest concern I would have for you is this. If your a kid, are your parents willing to pay what it cost to make it right for the tort? If your old enough to support a tort in your own, are you willing and able to spend what it takes?
In the end, they are well worth it. They are an animal that doesn't need or want your attention, so not needy that way, yet, will except it when given. Good luck on your quest.

Thanks :D yes my parents are very willing to pay for him :) I even got my mom interested in them, but not like me. Thank you for replying :)

mizzox

Its worth it to me because I have the room, russians need a lot of room, and I have the $ to spend on what they need. Read this link of you have not. There is a ton of old outdated info out there & this really is all you need to know for russian care. They are fantastic creatures if you can provide all this :)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/russian-tortoises.81/
Thank you for replying and for the link. I will be sure to check it out soon :) thx so much.

mizzox

Thank you all for replying :) this will now be my #1 source for researching on tortoises. I used to have to go website to website but now I just have one. I'm so happy I found this site :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I see by your profile that you are 14 years old. One thing to consider is college. Are you planning to go away to college? If so, what will happen to the tortoise when you go? Is your mom (or dad) as committed to caring for the tortoise as you are?

Also, if you won't be able to provide an outdoor habitat when the weather is good, then I would not get a tortoise. They do best outdoors, and really need real sunshine to thrive. They might be small in size, but it would be like trying to keep a cow in an indoor habitat in your room.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I love that you've asked this question. Good on you!

Imho, it's worth it, as long as it brings you joy. If something brings you too much stress, all the time, then it's not worth it. I love my tortoise!! Watching them is so therapeutic and relaxing. I love having them eat out of my hands. I've learned so much about them and about other things because of them. I've become SO much more environmentally conscious because of my torts. I've even developed a green thumb! ;)

One thing that I had to consider is their lifespan. My torts will definitely outlive me, so I need to find heirs. It's really the only thing I worry about because I have no kids (by choice...they cause me too much stress...LOL!), so I need to find someone(s) young enough and willing to commit to keeping my guys forever.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

mizzox

I see by your profile that you are 14 years old. One thing to consider is college. Are you planning to go away to college? If so, what will happen to the tortoise when you go? Is your mom (or dad) as committed to caring for the tortoise as you are?

Also, if you won't be able to provide an outdoor habitat when the weather is good, then I would not get a tortoise. They do best outdoors, and really need real sunshine to thrive. They might be small in size, but it would be like trying to keep a cow in an indoor habitat in your room.

Umm, well I kinda lied, I'm 12 and I'm in middle school. But thanks, that's something I never thought about. Maybe i could just bring the little guy and behind an extra supply of everything he needs :) I'll put more thought into it. Thanks for the reply :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Let me tell you something . I have been keeping reptilians for 25 years but have only been keeping tortoises for two or three years and I kick myself for not getting into tortoise 25 years ago . If you stop learning about the animal then you shouldn't get one . But it sounds like you are in love with russian tortoises and are learning everything about them witch in turn will make for one hell of a tortoise keeper . My wife and kids think I'm going overboard with the tortoises but I don't care I love my tortoises and I'm always looking to improve on how I keep them . So what I'm saying is never stop learning . Well one of my boys is just as in love with them as I am . Some people have dogs and the awesome people have tortoises .

mizzox

I love that you've asked this question. Good on you!

Imho, it's worth it, as long as it brings you joy. If something brings you too much stress, all the time, then it's not worth it. I love my tortoise!! Watching them is so therapeutic and relaxing. I love having them eat out of my hands. I've learned so much about them and about other things because of them. I've become SO much more environmentally conscious because of my torts. I've even developed a green thumb! ;)

One thing that I had to consider is their lifespan. My torts will definitely outlive me, so I need to find heirs. It's really the only thing I worry about because I have no kids (by choice...they cause me too much stress...LOL!), so I need to find someone(s) young enough and willing to commit to keeping my guys forever.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

I feel connected to you XD thanks for the reply. Nothing really stresses me out, but when I go on YouTube and watch the little guys eat it is so entertaining, so I guess I'm kinda like you. Thank you for telling me a little bit about your life with tortoises, it will help me think about getting one. (The russian tortoise lives up to 50 years) so as long as I am healthy, that won't matter :D maybe if any of your neighbors have a kid then they could take it. Or if you have any family members that would like to take it you could give it to them :) think about it then you could put in in your will :)

mizzox

Let me tell you something . I have been keeping reptilians for 25 years but have only been keeping tortoises for two or three years and I kick myself for not getting into tortoise 25 years ago . If you stop learning about the animal then you shouldn't get one . But it sounds like you are in love with russian tortoises and are learning everything about them witch in turn will make for one hell of a tortoise keeper . My wife and kids think I'm going overboard with the tortoises but I don't care I love my tortoises and I'm always looking to improve on how I keep them . So what I'm saying is never stop learning . Well one of my boys is just as in love with them as I am . Some people have dogs and the awesome people have tortoises .

I will take that in consideration. I think I would never get bored of my tortoise :) thanks for sharing and replying :D

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i personally say yes go for it but you'll get 101 answer's

i had a two russian's a few years ago that kinda just fell into my lap at the time i didn't have a clue what i was doing well i had those guys for a couple years then i gave them to a friend in california who already had a herd going just needed a couple females (which i had) so i gave them to him and i spent probably the next 2-3 years thinking about getting another tort and doing research at the same time it was up until February of this year i finally decided to go through with it and i've never looked back they are a blast

just make sure you're in it for the long hall and can do what's best for the animal.

mizzox

i personally say yes go for it but you'll get 101 answer's

i had a two russian's a few years ago that kinda just fell into my lap at the time i didn't have a clue what i was doing well i had those guys for a couple years then i gave them to a friend in california who already had a herd going just needed a couple females (which i had) so i gave them to him and i spent probably the next 2-3 years thinking about getting another tort and doing research at the same time it was up until February of this year i finally decided to go through with it and i've never looked back they are a blast

just make sure you're in it for the long hall and can do what's best for the animal.

Yes I am :) it's all for the little guy. The reason I want a tortoise is cause they are just such amazing creatures and I want a little friend for my life. My nice little companion :D ( I think that's the correct way to use the word :p)

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Yes I am :) it's all for the little guy. The reason I want a tortoise is cause they are just such amazing creatures and I want a little friend for my life. My nice little companion :D ( I think that's the correct way to use the word :p)

just remember tortoise's and turtle aren't like cat's and dog's they aren't fluffy and cuddley most of the time they could careless about you honestly you're more of what we call food god you give them food and water so yeah they're happy to see you wouldn't you be if you thought a yummy treat was on the way