HI im new :)

Kikwi

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
Hi im new here, and im here to see and learn more about tortoises and maybe even buy my first tortoise form the market place! I've wanted a tortoise and have been doing research for a couple months now.

Kikwi

Houston, Texas
My Wallet and backyard say Sulcata but my heart says Russian or Hermann's :D My main concern about a sulcata wouldnt be size or anything just worrying if its tii hard to care for them and if my backyard will be able to contain them (i might would have to put up some sort of electric fencing or barbwire because i have squirrels so when the time comes it would be hard to keep them outside their whole lives) and also if they are a hard breed to care for. I hear people say hermann's marginated and russians are good for first timers.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! Sulcatas are nice, but if your heart is saying Russian or hermanni, follow your heart.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
Very sensible of you to research first.
Read the caresheets for the species you like and go for which ever one suits your circumstances best.
Whether you buy from a pet store or breeder check whatever they tell you about care and what you need here first, it could save you a lot of money on unsuitable or inappropriate equipment etc
Good luck with your choice.

Kikwi

Houston, Texas
Ok thanks man ill look into it maybe i can convince my parents this is part of research for school so im doing school stuff i like :D

Kikwi

Houston, Texas
Hi and welcome,
Very sensible of you to research first.
Read the caresheets for the species you like and go for which ever one suits your circumstances best.
Whether you buy from a pet store or breeder check whatever they tell you about care and what you need here first, it could save you a lot of money on unsuitable or inappropriate equipment etc
Good luck with your choice.
ok thanks for the compliment, but is it safe to buy from a pet store? i live in texas and only one petco near me had russian tortoises for 180$ i think and i dont think they are babies either, i just hear people say bad things about tortoises and pets in general from pet stores

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
ok thanks for the compliment, but is it safe to buy from a pet store? i live in texas and only one petco near me had russian tortoises for 180$ i think and i dont think they are babies either, i just hear people say bad things about tortoises and pets in general from pet stores
The torts may be fine but the care they have received at the pet store may have been wrong as the assistants may not be aware of up to date care practices.

The thing to remember is that pet stores are in it for profit so many (not all though) will often sell you things that aren't good for your tort like coil or long thin loop type cfl bulbs which could damage their eyes. They may sell you the wrong substrate like pellets or reptile soil with white bits and sand that could make your tort ill. They may recommend expensive dishes which are too steep and could be a drowning hazard when cheap shallow terracotta plant saucers will be much safer. They could sell you enclosures/vivs that are way to small for the tort. etc etc etc

There are many keepers here who have made many expensive mistakes, by thinking that because stores sell torts they must know all about them. So if you do buy from a pet store before you buy anything check if what they are advising for your species is correct or recommended by the experienced people here. Maybe post some pics to see if the equipment will be OK - it will be worth it to make sure your set up is right to keep a tort happy and healthy.

Kikwi

Houston, Texas
The torts may be fine but the care they have received at the pet store may have been wrong as the assistants may not be aware of up to date care practices.

The thing to remember is that pet stores are in it for profit so many (not all though) will often sell you things that aren't good for your tort like coil or long thin loop type cfl bulbs which could damage their eyes. They may sell you the wrong substrate like pellets or reptile soil with white bits and sand that could make your tort ill. They may recommend expensive dishes which are too steep and could be a drowning hazard when cheap shallow terracotta plant saucers will be much safer. They could sell you enclosures/vivs that are way to small for the tort. etc etc etc

There are many keepers here who have made many expensive mistakes, by thinking that because stores sell torts they must know all about them. So if you do buy from a pet store before you buy anything check if what they are advising for your species is correct or recommended by the experienced people here. Maybe post some pics to see if the equipment will be OK - it will be worth it to make sure your set up is right to keep a tort happy and healthy.
ok thanks for the reply ill look in closer at the russians my place is selling

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
ok thanks for the reply ill look in closer at the russians my place is selling
If you do a search you may find something on what to look out for to make sure you pick a good tort.
If not ask again here and someone will be able to help.