Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Half plant pots lying on their sides can make good hides / areas of shade,

gamera154

grand terrace ca
almost done with the walls of the enclosure its half cement slabs and half mud/rock walls that are really sturdy and this all cost me $0 so far the cement slabs are from our yard

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
oh and i have looked at many websites like 13 and 11 of them sow that 2 x4 is the min for an adult russian one even had some thing like 10 x the length 5 times the with and 3 times the hight so im still not sure but i am still gating a young russian so if the setup im going to do ( the 50 gal and my current combined ) is good for a juvenile then i will work my way up but keep in mind the out door enclosure witch is going to be big but not to big and is mostly for day if i have it by the time i get the tort witch might be ether next month or after new years
if you make it too small your tort will spend all his time trying to escape because they are wandering animals and cover a lot of ground in their daily lives. Also a lot of websites may differ in their information but this is the most up to date website there is so I would always follow the advice given here.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Have a look at the Enclosures thread to see what other people have done with their outdoor areas there are some fantastic ideas there

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You might need higher walls.
I'm not sure the one's you have are sufficient to keep Godzilla in. ;)

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Higher, sturdier walls are a must. Russians are great escape artists. You need tall, unclimbable walls that won't crumble.

You will need more hiding places and shelter. How much sun does this spot receive? You may need to add a large overhang for deep shade if this is in full sun most of the day.

Your waterer is not ideal. A dish you can empty and clean will be much easier. A mud wallow is a nice thought, but you need drinkable water too.

gamera154

grand terrace ca
the water got full of mud that day it is clear when i put water in it now but i might add another water bowl if i can use a lid from the house that where not useing will that work and the walls dont crumble i was testing them this morning and they are strong but i do need higher walls it gets more sun in the mornings than after noon like 9-12 is prime sun time and some in the late after-noon but i might ad a lamp if it needs more light

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
the water got full of mud that day it is clear when i put water in it now but i might add another water bowl if i can use a lid from the house that where not useing will that work and the walls dont crumble i was testing them this morning and they are strong but i do need higher walls it gets more sun in the mornings than after noon like 9-12 is prime sun time and some in the late after-noon but i might ad a lamp if it needs more light

You won't need to add a lamp for added light. I was suggesting you may need to add shade so your tortoise can cool down on hot days in the summer. I don't know what your seasons are like, but you may need a heated night box if you're planning on leaving the tortoise out as the weather cools.

Just get a cheap terracotta saucer for a waterer.

gamera154

grand terrace ca
i might keep it in during cold days but the winters here have hot days and cold days like today i need to start working on my indoor enclosure again ive been so focused in this one and so cal is hot average year round day and night is 75 degrees

gamera154

grand terrace ca
ok so i know that a 2x4 is small but will it work if its only for night and cold days the rest of the time it would be outside

gamera154

grand terrace ca
i just went to the pet store to check the bulb prices and i saw the russians and i must say that one looks different than the other both are males but one has more scraping than the other wich has a clean shell those this conferm that they get both wc and cb russians because they only have them around the end of the year and parts of spring some times during the summer but not often

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yes, it might be better as far as getting responses is concerned after your introduction.