hi im new here

gamera154

Location (City and/or State)
grand terrace ca
we have a space thats like 4 x 20 plus and we could make one about 4x 8 or 4x10 because we have some daisy plants aways through and i know that they cant eat them and my mom wanted a fence or something to stop the kids form getting the plants witch are safe to eat for the tort and are very big and need to trimed down anyways

gamera154

grand terrace ca
ok my mom said i can make an out door enclosure but its not in the spot that i said but its just as good and its a bigish space bigger than the min but not SUPER big just big enough to hose an adult with little problems

gamera154

grand terrace ca
oh and i have looked at many websites like 13 and 11 of them sow that 2 x4 is the min for an adult russian one even had some thing like 10 x the length 5 times the with and 3 times the hight so im still not sure but i am still gating a young russian so if the setup im going to do ( the 50 gal and my current combined ) is good for a juvenile then i will work my way up but keep in mind the out door enclosure witch is going to be big but not to big and is mostly for day if i have it by the time i get the tort witch might be ether next month or after new years

gamera154

grand terrace ca
whats the best material to use for the walls of the out door enclosure (ex wood cement rock bricks fence ...)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
4 foot by 8 foot is often given as the minimum enclosure size for an adult, but really bigger is better.
Outdoor enclosures are built of all kinds of materials, look at the enclosures section for lots of ideas.
it often just comes down to preference and convenience.

gamera154

grand terrace ca
HNI_0084.JPG HNI_0086.JPG HNI_0087.JPG HNI_0089.JPG HNI_0092.JPG HNI_0093.JPG this is the aria i have to work with the rock bed thing is the basking spot there is now a socking area next to it to the left witch is about the same size and thats all i have right now o and the area gets sun during the morning and the late after noon and the socking area is more less a hole with a rock bed at the bottom its about an inch or two deep and when the water "drains" out i can ad fresh water and most likely the birds are going to bath in it

gamera154

grand terrace ca
o and i can never remember to mention that we have cats ,but one i was really fat but lost some of it but he still has extra skin and we have a small cat and she is indoor only because she is so small and she's all most fully grown

gamera154

grand terrace ca
update: added a alo vera to the enclosure and heres some more pics oh can any one tell me what speces the tree is HNI_0094.JPG HNI_0095.JPG HNI_0096.JPG HNI_0097.JPG HNI_0098.JPG HNI_0004.JPG HNI_0005.JPG oh and the walls might be ether wood or stone walls with mud

Alaskamike

South Florida
I've made hides out of so many things ; a wooden box, a plastic dish container, pieces of slate staked together and glued with epoxy , paving tile.

Really, it depends on the size & type of tortoise.
You do need to avoid flip hazards. I've found that the safest ones are either vertices moth sides like a Rubbermaid box or.... Gently sloping sides so the tort could walk completely over it without danger of flipping on his back.

Correlated pipe , like used for drainage also works well. You can curve it & bury it in the soil.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I also think you need a grouping of shrub like plants to provide deep shade. Or... You can build a box they can get into out of the sun or both.