hi im new here

gamera154

Location (City and/or State)
grand terrace ca
im new hear and im going to get a russian tortoise later this year/month this place is very helpful and i have a question is this safe to feed a russian so i can start growing it now

HNI_0100.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Yes you can use that. Just be sure it's only a small part of a widely varied diet. Be sure to check out the Russian care sheet in the Russian section.

gamera154

grand terrace ca
ya i know its a small part of the diet but i wanted to know so i could plant it and give it fresh food without having to ask people what foods are chemical free and its beter for them when there home grown and by the time i get it they will be ready to eat unless i get him in like two weeks which might happen

Last edited:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hello and welcome. There are lots of things you can start growing. Tortoise Supply.com has a great seed mix for Russians.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's ok, but there are other, better things to grow. The suggestion above about seeds from tortoisesupply.com is a very good one.

Welcome to the Forum. Did you see our care sheet pinned at the top of the Russian section?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What we are trying to say is that if you are going to grow food for your tortoise, which is great. then lettuce should not be at the top of the list. There a whole lotta other better things that you could and should be growing instead.

gamera154

grand terrace ca
i know i have to get more seeds tomorrow but i found these and wanted to see if they where safe for them to eat so i can have some fresh things for it to eat when i get it [ps. i might get a captive born one to and thats good im not geting one from petco/petsmart

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Can't wait to see pics of your tort so please don't forget to post some once you get the tort, and good luck.:)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

gamera154

grand terrace ca
ok so im now starting the planing phase for the indoor habatat i have a 50 qt bin thats 23.5L X 16 7/8W X 10.75H an im getting another one and the floor space is big compared to a $50 terrarium and im going to get another one so is that big enough if conected together

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
ok so im now starting the planing phase for the indoor habatat i have a 50 qt bin thats 23.5L X 16 7/8W X 10.75H an im getting another one and the floor space is big compared to a $50 terrarium and im going to get another one so is that big enough if conected together
The bigger the better is the usual advice. Have a look at the enclosures thread for ideas.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Don't know, with litres it includes height as well as length and breadth.
Some bins are taller than others so have less of a base surface area.
What will the length and width be, in total ?

gamera154

grand terrace ca
ok so i now have pics of the floor space to give you a rough size of how big it is for one tub and for size comparison i have my five inch long gamera fig from head to tail
HNI_0021.JPG HNI_0020.JPG

gamera154

grand terrace ca
update: we might go to the store tomorrow and i will be able to get the other bin/tote thing ( im just going to call it a bin ) and combine them together to make a big enough space i also did some "art" to the one i have nowHNI_0027.JPG

gamera154

grand terrace ca
got the other bin and connected them together HNI_0028.JPG HNI_0029.JPG HNI_0030.JPG HNI_0032.JPG the bridge is raised but will be fixed when i add the substrate