Hi, I'm Lorenzo with a Sulcata

Lorenzooo96

Hello guys, my name is Lorenzo, I'm Italian and i just got my first Sulcata tortoise. I bought it in a pet store and the guy told me it is around 2 years old but I am not really sure about that, simply because she/he is very tiny, I will post a photo and its about 8 cm. I also thought maybe she/he grows slowly, I don't know. Let me know what you think. It also has a bit of a black mouth but researching they say its because she might be eating poop, is there anything that can be done to fix this?
Thank you so much :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Lorenzo, and welcome to the Forum from Sunny Central California!

I'm sorry to say your picture didn't post. Be sure to read the pinned threads at the top of the Sulcata section.

yillt

View attachment 197973 View attachment 197971 Hopefully now you can see the picture
Wow. She is BEAUTIFUL. Welcome to TFO! You will need to read the sulcata care sheets as they can reach 200lbs! They are mini tanks, bulldozing through your garden, yet most of all, these species are beautiful and friendly, loved by many TFO members. I've never had the joy of owning one but in the future, I would love to have one of these magnificent tortoises.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Welcome, Lorenzo. It looks like a nice sulcata. She has been kept way too dry in the past as you can see from the pyramiding that has started. Please read the excellent care info that is 'pinned' to the top of the section for Tortoise Species - African - Sulcata. Start with this one. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

It does look like it may well turn out to be a female as she has an extra scute at the 4th & 5th vertebral. When artificially incubated, 90% of the time those turn out to be female.

I love the substrate you have her on and the grass in there for her to eat. Come back with any questions you may have and updates as she grows.

I would love to see a picture of her enclosure too!

Again, welcome!

Lorenzooo96

I'm gonna read the links you sent me, thanks for all the answers :)
I'll post more photos so you can see how big she is and all. She should weigh around 80g, tonight I will be able to know the exact amount though.
Do you think she might really be 2 years old or not?
Also, I did not notice that she's already pyramiding, how can i keep her more humid? I soaked her already in water today as she was a bit dirty

IMG_4832.jpg IMG_4831.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, she might be two. When they have a slow start from being raised in a very dry environment they don't seem to grow big as quickly. Just set things up according to the care sheet and you should see an improvement.

Lorenzooo96

Ok, thank you for answering, it's pretty sad that she's so tiny being 2 years old then... I hope that by giving her the right environment, food and humidity she will grow faster and healthier. Is there anything I can do for that black mouth?
I will sprinkle some water around her enclosure if thats fine and good for her. I watched basically all the videos by Kamp Kenan on You Tube and that's what he suggests doing.
Moreover, my enclosure is not a closed one, its 120cm x 60cm.

Lorenzooo96

I noticed she sometimes makes some noises, similar to the ones rats make, I don't know how to explain it.
She did it when I was holding her and she is also doing it now that she's alone in her enclosure. I don't understand but maybe she's just scared being in a complete different environment.

Lorenzooo96

I'm reading around the forum and I noticed people with 2 year-old sulcatas that weigh 900 grams! I'm really worried since mine is only 80 grams, do you guys think its too bad?
I need some advice because I'm a bit scared for her and I hope she will start growing and gaining weight now that she's with me...
I also read that if they were grown so badly they might even die and I really don't want that to happen.
I will definitely weigh her every day or so, to keep track of her growth and hopefully she will get better.
Thank you all for your help!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I noticed she sometimes makes some noises, similar to the ones rats make, I don't know how to explain it.
She did it when I was holding her and she is also doing it now that she's alone in her enclosure. I don't understand but maybe she's just scared being in a complete different environment.

Those noises are an indicator that a respiratory infection is starting. Your temperate climate, just like ours, is too cold in winter for this tropical species. They need it very warm day and night. Never lower than 26-27C, and ambient should climb up to 32-34 during the day. They also need a basking area of around 37 for 12 hours a day.

What are you using for night heat?

It will be very difficult to maintain heat and humidity in an open topped table.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm reading around the forum and I noticed people with 2 year-old sulcatas that weigh 900 grams! I'm really worried since mine is only 80 grams, do you guys think its too bad?
I need some advice because I'm a bit scared for her and I hope she will start growing and gaining weight now that she's with me...
I also read that if they were grown so badly they might even die and I really don't want that to happen.
I will definitely weigh her every day or so, to keep track of her growth and hopefully she will get better.
Thank you all for your help!!!

Do not worry about the size and weight. What's done is done. Worry about making the enclosure and the conditions within the best you can, and the tortoise will do the rest.

Lorenzooo96

Those noises are an indicator that a respiratory infection is starting. Your temperate climate, just like ours, is too cold in winter for this tropical species. They need it very warm day and night. Never lower than 26-27C, and ambient should climb up to 32-34 during the day. They also need a basking area of around 37 for 12 hours a day.

What are you using for night heat?

It will be very difficult to maintain heat and humidity in an open topped table.

Thank you for answering, i really thought camp keenan was a good source, but ok. Right now I'm very worried for her also because I don't have a closed enclosure. For the night heat i use a ceramic black lamp. the lamp is situated next to where she sleeps.
About the respiratory infection, what can i do about it? Is there any way to fix it?
Thank you thank you for your help! I really want to have a healthy tortoise

Lorenzooo96

I know it may be stupid but I thought of the faster option to actually kinda close the terrarium and I put some transparent wrapping paper (the one used for food, I don't know the name in english). I put it and this way I closed more than half of the terrarium, I hope it's not too stupid, let me know.
Furthermore, how do you close a terrarium and let the animal breathe inside, shouldn't there be an open part to let some air in? I'm not an expert with this, I always actually thought that an open table was just fine.

This is my enclosure, tell me what you think.
I still don't have the UVB light, should arrive this week.

Attachments

• IMG_4835.JPG
    IMG_4835.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 28

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
About the respiratory infection, what can i do about it? Is there any way to fix it?
Thank you thank you for your help! I really want to have a healthy tortoise

What is the over night low temperature in the enclosure?

You can warm things up to help the tortoises immune system recover and fight off the infection.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know it may be stupid but I thought of the faster option to actually kinda close the terrarium and I put some transparent wrapping paper (the one used for food, I don't know the name in english). I put it and this way I closed more than half of the terrarium, I hope it's not too stupid, let me know.
Furthermore, how do you close a terrarium and let the animal breathe inside, shouldn't there be an open part to let some air in? I'm not an expert with this, I always actually thought that an open table was just fine.

This is my enclosure, tell me what you think.
I still don't have the UVB light, should arrive this week.

We call that plastic food wrap "Saran Wrap" over here. You can also use aluminum foil. It doesn't look so nice, but it is usually functional.

Lorenzooo96

The low temperature is around 20 C because its very distant from the heat lamp. But I noticed she stays under her hide until morning.
I tried to feed her again and she's not eating.
I hope that the Saran Wrap does something and keeps the heat in, you can see in the picture how much it covers the enclosure.