Hi, I'm Lorenzo with a Sulcata

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
She may not eat if her core body temp it too low. Depending on what your ambient room temp is I bet you are dealing with huge heat/humidity loss on this tort table. Cover the top! Also I'd add some nice plants for her. Youngsters like to have places to hide and being exposed on barren table maybe making her feel vulnerable. As for food, I have some experience in nursing sick non-eating baby back to health and made a thread on it. It's for the RF baby but with feeding babies omni or herbivorous bunch of this same principles apply. Just keep trying different things and don't give up until she catches onto eating just like my sickly picky eater did. This is him now at 1yr 8months, weighing almost 2lbs, 6.5 inches carapace...View attachment 198150 my "little monster Tucker":) anyway if you are interested in some practical feeding tips on different ways that may work in getting yours to eat, look up my feeding thread by SEARCH feature, just type "Pearly's tips on feeding picky eater", lots of step by step instructions and lots of pictures. Hope you find those helpful. Good luck
Beautiful! GOD bless.

Lorenzooo96

Hello @Lorenzooo96 how's your cute tort doing today?

Hi! I don't know, I think she's more active and she walks around the enclosure but she doesn't eat that much, she always has grass available to eat but she only eats very little amounts. I also added some red lettuce and I noticed that she likes that more. I also thought of maybe adding some arugula, is it okay?

Can you suggest a food that they usually like a lot? So maybe she'll start eating more.

I also thought of maybe buying the food for tortoises online, as Pearly suggested

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi! I don't know, I think she's more active and she walks around the enclosure but she doesn't eat that much, she always has grass available to eat but she only eats very little amounts. I also added some red lettuce and I noticed that she likes that more. I also thought of maybe adding some arugula, is it okay?

Can you suggest a food that they usually like a lot? So maybe she'll start eating more.

I also thought of maybe buying the food for tortoises online, as Pearly suggested
Don't worry/panic. Torts do not like change. Therefore it'll take your cute tort some time till she settles down. It's a new place, environment, owner and the rest. Take it easy.

I agree with @Pearly . I'd suggest you buy food for torts.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...but she doesn't eat that much, she always has grass available to eat but she only eats very little amounts. I also added some red lettuce and I noticed that she likes that more. I also thought of maybe adding some arugula, is it okay?

Tortoises eat and "like" what they are used to eating. Most breeders and pet stores do not feed them the correct foods. They feed them the "easiest" foods. Much easier to walk over and drop in a store bought romaine leaf or two than it is to go outside and collect a variety of grass and weeds that you've spent months planting, watering, growing and tending to. Human nature worldwide. As a result, your tortoise probably doesn't even know what grass is. Another factor is that they will frequently favor "junk food" like lettuce, over the foods that are better for them. What would you rather have? A plate of steamed veggies with no dressing, or some pizza? Or some ice cream with chocolate and caramel sauce? Or a bacon cheeseburger? Tortoises will almost always choose the lettuce, especially if that is what they are used to getting fed all the time.

Introduce new foods by mixing very small amounts in with their current favorites. Get a small amount of soft, freshly sprout grass and finely chop it up and mix it with whatever foods the tortoise likes best. If you pre-wet the lettuce the tiny grass pieces will stick to it. In time, over a period of weeks or months, you can increase the ratio of new stuff to old as the tortoise gets used to it. In time the tortoise will become familiar with all the newer, better foods and eat them with the same vigor as the old favorites that were not so good.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area

Lorenzo, those small babies may need little special care sometimes. My Tucker (the marbled now juvenile) didn't develop what should have been natural grazing habits until well after over a year old. I was blending, then chopping into puree, then just chopping, mincing the "good food for them" and throwing some yummy treats mix it all together. Maybe a little cucumber?

Lorenzooo96

Tortoises eat and "like" what they are used to eating. Most breeders and pet stores do not feed them the correct foods. They feed them the "easiest" foods. Much easier to walk over and drop in a store bought romaine leaf or two than it is to go outside and collect a variety of grass and weeds that you've spent months planting, watering, growing and tending to. Human nature worldwide. As a result, your tortoise probably doesn't even know what grass is. Another factor is that they will frequently favor "junk food" like lettuce, over the foods that are better for them. What would you rather have? A plate of steamed veggies with no dressing, or some pizza? Or some ice cream with chocolate and caramel sauce? Or a bacon cheeseburger? Tortoises will almost always choose the lettuce, especially if that is what they are used to getting fed all the time.

Introduce new foods by mixing very small amounts in with their current favorites. Get a small amount of soft, freshly sprout grass and finely chop it up and mix it with whatever foods the tortoise likes best. If you pre-wet the lettuce the tiny grass pieces will stick to it. In time, over a period of weeks or months, you can increase the ratio of new stuff to old as the tortoise gets used to it. In time the tortoise will become familiar with all the newer, better foods and eat them with the same vigor as the old favorites that were not so good.

Okay, I am definitely going to try this way, thank you for all the help :)

Lorenzooo96

Lorenzo, those small babies may need little special care sometimes. My Tucker (the marbled now juvenile) didn't develop what should have been natural grazing habits until well after over a year old. I was blending, then chopping into puree, then just chopping, mincing the "good food for them" and throwing some yummy treats mix it all together. Maybe a little cucumber?

I will try to give her some cucumber tomorrow and mix things up as much as I can. I'll let you know how she's doing :)

Lorenzooo96

Hello guys, I wanted to ask a question, I weighed her on Wednesday and she was 95 grams, I plan on weighing her next time on Wednesday, so that a full week has passed.
How much weight should she gain now? per week or month?
I am worried about this aspect because I'm looking around the forum and other people's sulcatas are a lot heavier than she is and a lot younger too!
I really hope that next Thursday she'll be past 100 - 110 grams.
She's 2 years old, she should be around 1Kg but she's far from there. What do you guys think?

I saw this person's sulcata that at 3 weeks old she's 63 grams. I can't believe that mine is only 95g after 2 years.

I am freaking out a bit, I really want her to be healthy.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
They grow at varying rates, due to a lot of factors such as environment, diet and genetics.
As long as you see slow but steady growth from now on, that's good.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello and welcome, and good luck with her progress. Are you certain about her being 2 years old?

This is a great site - stick with us for the best advice apart from visiting a good reptile vet!

Lorenzooo96

Hello! I am not 100% sure about her age. The guy from the pet store told me she was born in 2014 and he thought she was around 2 years old, he didn't know in which month she was born though.
That's why I am worried, because she's way too tiny.
Tonight I will weigh her since it's been a week since last time I did, I hope she's past 100grams by now

Lorenzooo96

Hello @Lorenzooo96 how's your tort doing? Hope all is well.:D

Hi, thanks for asking :) I have been soaking her everyday for 30 minutes or a bit more and I have been giving her different foods for her to choose what she likes more. The problem is I still think she doesn't eat that much.

I will post in a few hours her weight, hopefully she's gained some.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello! I am not 100% sure about her age. The guy from the pet store told me she was born in 2014 and he thought she was around 2 years old, he didn't know in which month she was born though.
That's why I am worried, because she's way too tiny.
Tonight I will weigh her since it's been a week since last time I did, I hope she's past 100grams by now
Fingers crossed.:)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi, thanks for asking :) I have been soaking her everyday for 30 minutes or a bit more and I have been giving her different foods for her to choose what she likes more. The problem is I still think she doesn't eat that much.

I will post in a few hours her weight, hopefully she's gained some.
Great. Keep up the good work. :)

Don't worry; she will eat eventually. She will get hungry sooner or later and EAT. ;)

Hope to hear she's gained weight. :)

Lorenzooo96

One week ago she was 95, now she's 97 gr. I was hoping for something more. What do you guys think?