Hi, I'm Lorenzo with a Sulcata

Lorenzooo96

Hello guys, I'm back with an update.
I think she's doing a lot better than the first days I brought her home: now she eats at least twice a day and I always make sure she has a lot of food available. I give her grass, lettuce, red lettuce, kale, rucola...
Everyday I try to change food and I cut everything in very tiny pieces and mix all of it up, so she can eat it easily.
I also soak her, at least once a day for more than 30 mins and I try to keep the substrate wet by sprinkling water on it.

About her weight, I changed the balance and now with the new one, last time I weighed her (after a soak = after pooping and peeing) she was 93.8 grams, on Sunday 05.02.
I will weigh her today after a soak so it's basically in the same conditions and she's not full of food.
I'll let you know in a bit :)

Lorenzooo96

Hi! I'm gonna post some photos, she looks pretty much the same tho :)
Is there anything I can do about her black mouth?
I'm also cultivating some normal grass on a plastic surface (it's like a very big underpot) that I can put it in her enclosure once it's all grown, so she can always have some grass to eat, or to walk around in, when she wants

Attachments

• IMG_4957.jpg
    IMG_4957.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4960.jpg
    IMG_4960.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4964.jpg
    IMG_4964.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12

Fredkas

5 Year Member
That black mouth in your case should be indicate that your lil one have some habit of eating his own poops. That is very usual with hatchling. Toro ate his own too when he was little. But as times goes on with good diet, they will correct that habits themselves. I think nothing you can do with it other than pick poops as fast as you can when you see one. When your lil one ignore his own poop, you'll see it, his mouth gradually cleaner, like really clean :D

Ps. I maybe wrong as this was what i read and i experienced it with toro, lets more experienced members chime in. I hope i am right.

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Elk Grove CA
That black mouth in your case should be indicate that your lil one have some habit of eating his own poops. That is very usual with hatchling. Toro ate his own too when he was little. But as times goes on with good diet, they will correct that habits themselves. I think nothing you can do with it other than pick poops as fast as you can when you see one. When your lil one ignore his own poop, you'll see it, his mouth gradually cleaner, like really clean :D

Ps. I maybe wrong as this was what i read and i experienced it with toro, lets more experienced members chime in. I hope i am right.
My sulcata will eat poop too but deer and pig poop..
i always have to make sure the poop is always picked up or else he will get into it...
I think that he thinks its his Mazuari food

Paul M Jones

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Point Pleasant, NJ and Jonesboro, GA
I have 2 sulcatas both got them both as hatchlings in july 2015. One is 1.5lbs and the other is 3.5lbs. Some grow faster than others. Below is a pic of my larger one

Attachments

• IMG_7249.JPG
    IMG_7249.JPG
    848.6 KB · Views: 5