missgemma

5 Year Member
Picture 011.jpg
Picture 010.jpg
Picture 007.jpg
yjkjhk (15).jpg
Picture 002.jpg
hi a little help please.
i got my tort trevey over the weekend from my brother who had him 3 months or so.
now i was led to believe he was a herman and im pretty sure the place where he got him only sell hermans, but some1 replyed to me to get more pics of him cos he looked russian?
what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stazz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
I personally think she's a Hermans, but I don't know that much on Russians and Hermans, so wait for Danny or someone else to reply.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You have a Russian tortoise, Testudo horsfieldii.

Danny

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Aha....yep, I will keep the identifying to you Danny! LOL. I love to give advice, but will definitely keep that up to you :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't mean to hijack this post, however I just have to say to Meg, "Good Catch, Meg!" You're really getting into this i.d. thing!! And from a blurry picture at that.

Yvonne

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
lol! I am so proud of myself! I was looking and looking, and thought that didn't look like any herrmans I've seen! I even asked the boyfriend what he thought and he just looked at me :D

*does a little dance*

I'm glad that you know what species you have now, miss Gemma! Russians are great.....

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Missgemma, Russians are known for digging and climbing so make that pen really secure. :) It also looks to be an adult. I would also contact the place your bother got him/her from and let them know that they sold you a Russian. Russians usually cost less than Hermanns or Greeks. Plus they should know what they are really selling people if not for the monetary reasons then for care reasons.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Just a reminder to find a tort vet and get Trevey a check up. Bring a fecal sample from Trevey to get tested for parasites. Russians (and especially that age/size) are more possible of being wild caught, and prone to parasites. You also need a vet on hand just in case, because by the time you need to look it could be too late. I hope he wasn't kept with Hermanns...

Glad you have a positive ID now!

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
good luck with your RT. Charlie is very inquisitive, loves to climb and fall down things when you are not looking, thank goodness it has only been on the couch or beanbag chair! He just makes us laugh

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Would a wild caught/s shell look like that? I see that and just think.. " bad captive husbandry'. but that could be wrong!
Missgemma, just do your homework here on care and diet for russians, and locate a vet and he/she should do fine with you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Laura said:
Would a wild caught/s shell look like that? I see that and just think.. " bad captive husbandry'. but that could be wrong!

Hi Laura: I have noticed that the little ones that are wild caught and very black, come into a situation where they are now fed well and a whole lot and maybe not kept outside very much, show the new growth only yellow with no black. If you look at the tortoise and imagine the yellow gone with the black parts close together, you can see how big the tortoise was before it started its new abundant diet. I have no idea why the new growth only shows yellow, but this has been my experience with Russians.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.