Herman/Greek, the difference?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Hi guys! Okay, so I need some help. I am getting better at determining the breeds of tortoises just by looking at them. But Greeks and Hermans have me stumped. They both look alike to me. What is a good way to tell the difference between a Herman tortoise and a Greek? Please feel free to post pics of your tortoises and label them "Herman" or "Greek" so that I can learn the difference!!! Thanks! I'm befuddled!

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Wow, that helps a ton!!! Thank you so much! I was trying to find threads about it, but I guess I wasn't smart enough to use the word "distinguish" in any of my searches! I just typed "difference". ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, even after all that nice help from our members, I still can't tell the difference. (or distinguish it either)

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Ha! :D So true! I think the only way I'm going to be able to semi-tell them apart (distinguish;)) is to look at the plastron.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you keep a few of each for a little while, the subtle differences will become very obvious to you. Those of use who keep neither species, like me and Yvonne, are the one who have the most trouble telling them all apart. And then their are all the subspecies differences… :)

GingerLove

5 Year Member
If you keep a few of each for a little while, the subtle differences will become very obvious to you. Those of use who keep neither species, like me and Yvonne, are the one who have the most trouble telling them all apart. And then their are all the subspecies differences… :)

No... not the subspecies!!!!!!! ;)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Here is my Tidgy : a Greek.
Happy.jpg And John's Fido @johnandjade - a Hermann's.
imageuploadedbytortoise-forum1436254129-003322-jpg.137727

Notice particularly the distinct light/ dark triangular patterning around the fringe scutes of the carapace of the Hermann's.
(John, hope you don't mind me using Fido as a prime example of a beautiful Hermann's.)

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
Hi guys! Okay, so I need some help. I am getting better at determining the breeds of tortoises just by looking at them. But Greeks and Hermans have me stumped. They both look alike to me. What is a good way to tell the difference between a Herman tortoise and a Greek? Please feel free to post pics of your tortoises and label them "Herman" or "Greek" so that I can learn the difference!!! Thanks! I'm befuddled!
Here is my baby Hermann's named Tucker. He is almost 5 months old and weighs 25 grams! He is crazy cute!

Attachments

• Surfing.jpg
    Surfing.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Tucker.jpg
    Tucker.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 21