Decisions Decisions!

Soco71

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County NY
I just got done building a new enclosure for my Russian and Herman tortoises, they both now live in a 4x8 dual enclosure and loving the new digs. The problem is I now have an empty enclosure. I was either thinking another Herman or a Golden Greek. And there is a reptile expo in my area thus weekend. Any suggestions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well you already have a Russian and a Hermanns, how about a lovely Greek?

Clawem

I also live in Orange County do you have them outside during the summer.

Soco71

Orange County NY
I also live in Orange County do you have them outside during the summer.
I do have them outside during the summer, that's my predicament, I've herd that Greeks have a problem with humidity, would I have to keep him or her inside?

Soco71

Orange County NY
Well you already have a Russian and a Hermanns, how about a lovely Greek?
I keep my Torts outside in the summer and I've herd that Greeks have a problem with humidity, would I have to keep him or her inside, it's very humid here in the summer?

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
Hi Soco. I live in the next county!
Do you ever get ticks on your tortoises when they are outdoors? I just got my first Hermann's tort. He is 5 months old but I was told that ticks could be a issue for baby torts.
Enjoy the Expo. I think White Plains is having another Expo in April.

Soco71

Orange County NY
Hi Soco. I live in the next county!
Do you ever get ticks on your tortoises when they are outdoors? I just got my first Hermann's tort. He is 5 months old but I was told that ticks could be a issue for baby torts.
Enjoy the Expo. I think White Plains is having another Expo in April.
I've never had an issue with ticks, I have 2 dogs so I treat the borders of my yard with tick and flea spray I also have deer deterrence to keep them out to protect my garden. Obviously not everyone takes these types of precautions. I do it mainly for the dogs I never knew ticks wer a problem for torts, so thank you I will definitly be keeping an eye out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do have them outside during the summer, that's my predicament, I've herd that Greeks have a problem with humidity, would I have to keep him or her inside?

Greeks don't have any more of a problem with humidity than your russian or hermanni does. That is to say, they don't have a problem with it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Who told you that?

I'm not from that part of the world, but ticks are usually very species, or at least family, specific. Meaning a deer tick is not going to prey on a snake, for example. Since there are no tortoises native to that area, it is very unlikely that you will ever encounter a tortoise tick.

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
Who told you that?

I'm not from that part of the world, but ticks are usually very species, or at least family, specific. Meaning a deer tick is not going to prey on a snake, for example. Since there are no tortoises native to that area, it is very unlikely that you will ever encounter a tortoise tick.
My exotic vet warned me (he removes ticks from his own torts every summer). I was instructed to check the vent area and the neck folds. Dog ticks in my area (Southern NY state) like reptile blood but I am not sure about deer ticks. Anyone who is in my yard for more than 10 minutes must do a tick check. Dog and deer ticks are everywhere after a humidity spell. It is most annoying! And yes, I have had Lyme disease.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I keep my Torts outside in the summer and I've herd that Greeks have a problem with humidity, would I have to keep him or her inside, it's very humid here in the summer?
I do not think so, with all my respect.

I live in Jordan - a VERY DRY climate. I give Oli daily soaks in warm water and spray his enclosure with water.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
I've never had an issue with ticks, I have 2 dogs so I treat the borders of my yard with tick and flea spray I also have deer deterrence to keep them out to protect my garden. Obviously not everyone takes these types of precautions. I do it mainly for the dogs I never knew ticks wer a problem for torts, so thank you I will definitly be keeping an eye out.

I'd be very careful with the tick and flea spray around your torts, because it might be toxic for them!

Clawem

mine are outside for the past 2 summers March-November so far no ticks. I do have ticks in my yard during the summer.

Kaliman1962

my greeks tank is always at 80% humidity, no problems, keeps shell nice & smooth