Decisions Decisions!

Soco71

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County NY
Thanks for all the comments guys, I went with another Russian there wer no Greeks at the expo. But I made a terrible rookie mistake, I checked her shell, her feet, tail but did not examine her eyes well. So 2 day's after I brought her home we wer at the vet with an infection in both eyes and a nasal infection. She is doing much better now, on antibiotics and eye drops twice a day. Glad I got her when I did or she may not have made it. Keep everyone updated!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm glad you were able to get the tortoise when you did. She probably would not have made it or gone to somebody that didn't know what they were doing. Russians are a lot of fun. Somewhere on this thread I remember somebody call lean Russian tortoises miniature sulcatas because they have similar bold outgoing personalities. I like the big tortoises also but don't have the right space for them.

Soco71

Orange County NY
I'm glad you were able to get the tortoise when you did. She probably would not have made it or gone to somebody that didn't know what they were doing. Russians are a lot of fun. Somewhere on this thread I remember somebody call lean Russian tortoises miniature sulcatas because they have similar bold outgoing personalities. I like the big tortoises also but don't have the right space for them.
She is still not eating the way I would like her to be but she is doing much better, cloudy film is gone from her eyes and she is moving around a lot more. Go back to the vet again Thursday for 1 more round of antibiotics.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Dang. :( All this talk about ticks has me worried now. My Hermann's tort stays outside here in south Louisiana about 9 months of the year. We don't have dogs, but our neighbor does. It never occurred time to check my tort for ticks...oh, dear...SOOO gross...:(

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
Dang. :( All this talk about ticks has me worried now. My Hermann's tort stays outside here in south Louisiana about 9 months of the year. We don't have dogs, but our neighbor does. It never occurred time to check my tort for ticks...oh, dear...SOOO gross...:(
Have you seen ticks on your property before? If not, you may be fine. I am not familiar with Louisiana but in the NY, NJ, and CONN areas, ticks thrive once it gets warm here. My backyard is a mini thorough-fare for deer so that also adds to my tick issue.
My tortoise vet said ticks will usual go into the neck fold region if you do want to check your Hermann's.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Have you seen ticks on your property before? If not, you may be fine. I am not familiar with Louisiana but in the NY, NJ, and CONN areas, ticks thrive once it gets warm here. My backyard is a mini thorough-fare for deer so that also adds to my tick issue.
My tortoise vet said ticks will usual go into the neck fold region if you do want to check your Hermann's.
The only time either my hubby or I found a tick was after he had been to a friends house, and they have 3 dogs. In the 18 years we've been here we've not seen any other ticks.
So we may be ok. :) Thanks!