Change of location

cpl1307

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire
Hi,
I've just decorated a room where my tortoise had been and for most if it, its been safe enough to keep her in there.
The way the new bed has been put in. I've had to changed the location of the vivarium in the room and ever since doing that she has been miserable. Not eating properly, not exploring and playing like she did.
Can changing the location and her view have such an impact?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's possible. However, this time of the year, a lot of Russians are starting to get into their fall/winter slow down.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, they still hold their natural instincts, even when we keep them in artificial conditions from their natural wild habitat.
Just make sure everything is correct, heat, temps, humidity etc. Keep soaking, feeding and fresh water.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Apart from her view being different, which in itself may be scary, has the change of location meant any changes to the humidity and temperature in her vivarium?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you. She/He is only 1. So is that still her natural instinct?
Time to read this:

cpl1307

Lancashire
Apart from her view being different, which in itself may be scary, has the change of location meant any changes to the humidity and temperature in her vivarium?
Humidity and heat have stayed the same as I've adjusted them due to her being nearer a window, but always had a view of the window, which at the moment hasn't got. I'm gutted because if this is the reason, then I'm going to upset her more because she is going to be moved away from where she is now again to her new permanent location literally directly opposite to where she was, So she will see the window. I've literally decorated and arranged everything to suit her new permanent delivery. The window I've kept closed. I've even used non toxic paint. I've really tried to keep her happy. She/He is only 1 😔

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Some pictures of the whole room and proposed new location of the enclosure would really be very helpful! I don't think you have to start worrying just yet, as there are many possible reasons why her activity seems to have changed, and may be nothing to do with what you are doing.

cpl1307

Lancashire
Some pictures of the whole room and proposed new location of the enclosure would really be very helpful! I don't think you have to start worrying just yet, as there are many possible reasons why her activity seems to have changed, and may be nothing to do with what you are doing.
The grey wall was the old location. That's where she is for now and the new location will be against the graffiti wallpaper which is directly opposite the old location, the grey wall. Hope that makes sense. She's still eating, but going straight back into her hide.

Attachments

• 20230926_134148.jpg
    20230926_134148.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230926_134145.jpg
    20230926_134145.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230926_134139.jpg
    20230926_134139.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 3

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
A change in her view of the world around her will affect her, but not for very long if everything else is the same as before and is correct in terms of temperature, humidity etc. A better picture of her enclosure and a few of the tortoise herself will also help, if you can do this. Also, a rundown of her diet, soaking routine etc. Thank you!

cpl1307

Lancashire
A change in her view of the world around her will affect her, but not for very long if everything else is the same as before and is correct in terms of temperature, humidity etc. A better picture of her enclosure and a few of the tortoise herself will also help, if you can do this. Also, a rundown of her diet, soaking routine etc. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20230926_141248.jpg
    20230926_141248.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230926_141228.jpg
    20230926_141228.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 2

cpl1307

Lancashire
Fresh greens, kale,plenty of dark leafy green vegetables, such as collard greens, clover, wild mustard greens, turnip greens, kale, weeds and hibiscus flowers. All safely grown. Also komodo pellets as a treat once a week.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Paint? What did you paint? Animals need to be removed from any area where painting is happening, non-toxic paint or not.

What size is your tortoise? How many grams?

cpl1307

Lancashire
Paint? What did you paint? Animals need to be removed from any area where painting is happening, non-toxic paint or not.

What size is your tortoise? How many grams?
Oh god Tom, don't talk to me about paint. I've got PTSD when it comes to the stuff now. I done alottttt of research on none toxic paint to use and you can tell its non toxic because I had to put about 30 layers on before it even looked painted. Even the paste is safe. She has been totally fine literally until the day I moved her. On that day I took everything out and done a full clean. 1 other thing I've done though if I'm honest, is change her substrate. It's the same, but ever so slightly bigger bark. She is eating fine. She is 262g. I got her in November last year at 56g. She was born in the march of last year. She has grown really big so fast. I can even see a transparent shell around her, that's slowly turns dark. Daily baths, which she doesn't really like to be honest. I use a decent size cat litter tray. Not to deep and I always check the temperature with a thermometer kept in the water. She will stay in 1 spot dipping her head in and cleaning out her nose, then she just is trying to get out after 10 minutes. I place her back in the middle and talk to her, which she seems to really like.Straight after her bath of about 15 minutes I dry her and that's her favourite but, especially having her head given a good rub. She goes back into her viv and eats like a trooper. I just miss her looking for me in the morning to be fed. I used to open her vivarium door and she would come straight over waiting for me to put my hand down, to climb on. I've checked her temp and humidity every hour to make sure she's ok

cpl1307

Lancashire

Attachments

• 20230926_141258.jpg
    20230926_141258.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 2

cpl1307

Lancashire
She is due a bath shortly, So I will send you some pictures. I took this one a few days ago. But il get some from all angles, So you can check her out properly

Attachments

• 20230922_151505.jpg
    20230922_151505.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 2

cpl1307

Lancashire
Tammy, just a quick question. I've changed her bark on the bottom of her vivarium. It's still bark, but it's larger pieces of bark. I found the smaller one to be too dusty.
I've attached some pictures. I've changed from the exo-terra bark to Pettex Reptile Substrate - Orchid Bark. Could this affect her in anyway. The felling of larger pieces of bark on her little feet??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230928_084015_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230928_084015_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230928_084058_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230928_084058_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230928_084034_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230928_084034_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230928_084039_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230928_084039_Amazon Shopping.jpg