Posting Your Location

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cary, NC
It is very frustrating for us to try and give advice on Tortoise Care if we do not know where you live. We take a lot of things taken for granted here in the United States because everything is available within a reasonable distance. I find it unhelpful to offer advice to people who live in a remote region of the world where routine items are not available. Please list your location under your Avatar. Does not serve well to recommend xrays to someone who lives in Egypt where they don't even have an exotics vet available.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Agreed. I've been frustrated by this too over the years. I've entertained myself by making a little inside joke of coming up with random cities with different climates to explain why we need to know: "Different advice for Old El Paso vs. Woonsocket, RI…"

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
. . . or without having to go back through numerous posts to see if they ever did say where they are from. The stone stuck person has actually told us they are in Indonesia, but that gets lost after many posts. I wish it were one of those 'must fill in this category' things when signing up for the Forum!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
. . . or without having to go back through numerous posts to see if they ever did say where they are from. The stone stuck person has actually told us they are in Indonesia, but that gets lost after many posts.

Ditto.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
It's more frustrating when the original post person keep calling the nick names of their torts but never mentioned the species nor uploading pictures

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I use my cell phone to access TFO. Even if a user lists their location, I can't see it. The only thing that shows up under the avatar is the word member.
I don't see anyone's signature either.

So, even if they filled out their location, I still have to ask someone where they are located. Also, when someone says "use the links in my signature" it's N/A to me and I bet confuses the new people who use their phones, too.
Just sayin' ;)

Out of curiosity, is my location listed?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
scratch that...I just learned something new.
I dropped my phone after I sent that reply (oops) and the screen auto rotated. When my screen rotates, I see the entire avatar box and signatures. LOL who knew? What a happy accident.

I'm on a computer, but instead of the default, I've set it to "Xen base 13." I like the color and different things about it, like I now have an up and down arrow in the lower right corner. Anyway - set to this way I don't see anything personal under the picture or username. If I want to know where they are (if they've entered it), or when they joined, etc. I have to click on the picture and go to the profile page.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Just in case anyone has not noticed my location is sunny Jamaica in the Caribbean Sea, and there is not one reptile vet here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's south of SOUTHERN California. But it is confusing, just the way he likes things.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
How you can be south of Southern California and not be in Mexico? Unless you are south of Mexico?

'Southern California' often creates an image in the minds eye of the "Hollywood" sign above the greater LA basin. If further yourself south, you pass through Orange County, but aside from roadside signs for a driver and a different tax base for residents, it is more or less just more LA. Then further south you pass an area of open grassland and an occasional military presence (Camp Pendelton) which is the northern most part of San Diego County.

Camp Pendelton draws an important line in the scape. Once in San Diego county it just feels different, less hectic (aside from all the OC people driving to work). And as wonderful a presence that Mexico has in San Diego it is still the United States.

So, "South of southern Californian but not Mexico" is as magical as where the train station took Harry to his first embrace of magic school. It's in plain view yet invisible.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I also tend to use my iphone more than any other device and noticed my location is not showing, and can't seem to find option to put it in. Is it something that needs to be done on desk top? Or do I need to ask our Mods to help me update my profile? And I agree with location issue when trying to assist new people. Honestly, when first joining the forum, I was probably not comfortable fully disclosing my location. I think many people feel more comfortable maintaining their anonymity, for some there maybe safety concerns, which I totally understand

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
'Southern California' often creates an image in the minds eye of the "Hollywood" sign above the greater LA basin. If further yourself south, you pass through Orange County, but aside from roadside signs for a driver and a different tax base for residents, it is more or less just more LA. Then further south you pass an area of open grassland and an occasional military presence (Camp Pendelton) which is the northern most part of San Diego County.

Camp Pendelton draws an important line in the scape. Once in San Diego county it just feels different, less hectic (aside from all the OC people driving to work). And as wonderful a presence that Mexico has in San Diego it is still the United States.

So, "South of southern Californian but not Mexico" is as magical as where the train station took Harry to his first embrace of magic school. It's in plain view yet invisible.
I don't know when that started, calling LA So Cal. Parts of San Diego feel like LA to me, still too much traffic.

Greta16

Western Maine
I also tend to use my iphone more than any other device and noticed my location is not showing, and can't seem to find option to put it in. Is it something that needs to be done on desk top? Or do I need to ask our Mods to help me update my profile?
Same on my Samsung. I'm not sure if I put my location but can't see it either way. (Maine)