Location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa
I rescue tortoises and turtles. When I take in a rescue, I never disclose my location. When I adopt out a rescue, I never disclose my location. Every once in a while I get someone that gets extremely upset with me about it.

Many of you that own turtles and tortoises are aware of the trade. Many of you know that amount of turtles/tortoises that are being stolen and sold for profit. Not to mention, anyone entering your place where you keep them can bring in diseases!

Why is that so hard to understand? I get that they want to make sure their pet is in a loving place, but don't they understand that once they leave (if I allow them to enter)... someone else will want the same thing and their loving pet will then be put in the same circumstances?

Drives me nuts.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
unfortunately, its because there are others who are liars, hoarders.. and good talkers.. so it makes it hard to trust the Honest people and tell them apart. :-(

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Shelly,

While I have never been involved with rescues, I just wanted to say I think you are right on and I would feel the same way.

For me it goes both ways - I have a strong aversion to pet rescues that expect to conduct home visits. While I appreciate concern for the animal's future home, I consider it an invasion of privacy.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
turtlesteve said:
Shelly,

While I have never been involved with rescues, I just wanted to say I think you are right on and I would feel the same way.

For me it goes both ways - I have a strong aversion to pet rescues that expect to conduct home visits. While I appreciate concern for the animal's future home, I consider it an invasion of privacy.

I feel similarly. I extend the same benefit to buyers/keepers in the placement of the animals I sell or rehabilitate.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
I never request a home invasion, because that is exactly what it is. If they invite me? Good! If they don't? That's fine, too. How someone runs their home is none of my business.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And this is just one reason why SOME rescues are full of "unwanted pets" while others have no trouble placing them. There are plenty of homes available. There are not plenty of people who want their privacy compromised, or to sign revocation contracts, or to pay "adoption fees" in the hundreds.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I will rarely "invite" folks to my home...it is not because I do not like good people...it is just that I am fully aware of the not so good people....I am always perfectly fine meeting folks just about anywhere and don't ever complain of distance or expense getting there.

I have a son, I have torts/turtles that are all aok as is....so my privacy (in a world full of nosey judging eyes) is the little thing in this world that is something I try to protect....

If you have a person that truly insists on being in your space and uses any means possible, then likely I will end that relationship for a gazillion reasons...

The world seems to always want to be in everyones business and sometimes feels as though they are owed that...I mean, I have been in places in public and am amused at how little it takes in conversation before you know all of someones business...I mean it is so easy---kinda scary sometimes actually.

In a world where "the man" has access to just about all the information they could ever think of...my little piece of this world is so very important to me...

So, don't feel obligated to give the very last part of you away...sometimes keeping a little to ones self is a good thing :D

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Tom, so true.

I just can't give my privacy up. I have 5 daughters and well loved pets that I must protect. Those come first!

Tonight I was made to feel guilty for not disclosing my location to someone about to release ownership of their tortoise to me. She went on and on about being a "grandma" and a Christian. In the end, she decided to hang on to her tortoise and kill him slowly after admitting she had no idea what she was doing.

Can't save them all :(

Status
Not open for further replies.