Big Bertha Doing Great

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
One more thing, "action-reaction" is one of the basic laws in our Universe. Keep positive attitude, be hopeful and things may turn around. They usually do. Maybe not hearing back from the vet after Bertha pulled her tube out was a blessing?... I'm not sure if I'd go as far as tube feeding myself. Some animals (just like us, humans) are born less strong/healthy than others and some illnesses can hit very hard even the strongest. It sounds like you trust your vet and I'm sure you had that discussion with her. I'm just being devil's advocate here, saying that perhaps Bertha's pulling her tube out was a blessing?... Just thinking about "action-reaction", man! that is so true with invasive medical procedures! It's at times like opening Pandora's box! I so hope that Bertha is on a mend now.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Bertha received the tube as a last effort after not eating for 3 to 4 months and slipping into a weakened state and could no longer support herself on her legs.
I began feeding her a slurry of Pedialite and Oxbow Critical Care.
A few weeks after the tube was placed she nibbled food and then started eating a lot. She ate for eleven days. The x ray shows that the food is still in there. Tortoise digestion is very slow. On the eleventh day, she ate in the morning, Mazuri tortoise chow and an hour later appeared to have died. The next day I found that she had not.
More tests were done. This time a mildly elevated white blood count was found.
She had totally stopped eating and drinking.
I started the rounds of antibiotics.
A few days later she pulled out her tube, stitches and all.
Since then she has begun to walk a little but is still not eating at all. Not drinking very much and can't seem to poop, although she is trying to constantly.
That is the mini history to bring everyone up to speed and to help better understand the situation.
Two vets. A dozen tests. An operation and about $2,000 spent. I wont stop at a $30 probiotic if it is deemed necessary.
I don't plan on giving up until she does.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Bertha received the tube as a last effort after not eating for 3 to 4 months and slipping into a weakened state and could no longer support herself on her legs.
I began feeding her a slurry of Pedialite and Oxbow Critical Care.
A few weeks after the tube was placed she nibbled food and then started eating a lot. She ate for eleven days. The x ray shows that the food is still in there. Tortoise digestion is very slow. On the eleventh day, she ate in the morning, Mazuri tortoise chow and an hour later appeared to have died. The next day I found that she had not.
More tests were done. This time a mildly elevated white blood count was found.
She had totally stopped eating and drinking.
I started the rounds of antibiotics.
A few days later she pulled out her tube, stitches and all.
Since then she has begun to walk a little but is still not eating at all. Not drinking very much and can't seem to poop, although she is trying to constantly.
That is the mini history to bring everyone up to speed and to help better understand the situation.
Two vets. A dozen tests. An operation and about $2,000 spent. I wont stop at a $30 probiotic if it is deemed necessary.
I don't plan on giving up until she does.
Well ed, nobody can doubt your commitment to Bertha. $2000. Jeez. Hope you got the sex of this one right. Lol.