Post operative care spur thigh tortoise

janiceh

Location (City and/or State)
uk
My old boy,ive had her 46 years, turns out to be a female with necrotic ovaries- she fooled the vets . She is 10 days post surgery and not picking up. She has gastric tube in place and being fed with critical care mixture, with regular advise from vet. She is not eating. Has anyone had experience post surgery please.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She's been through a very traumatic experience. You have to be patient and give her some time and space. Just do the normal tortoise-keeping things like tending to cleaning the habitat, feeding, watering, etc. and try to not mess with her too much. Can she be put in soaking water safely without the water getting into the surgical area?

One thing to remember when tube feeding - tortoises have very slow metabolism. Don't try to force too much Critical Care into the stomach. Just a little bit each day. And if she's not pooping, skip a day of feeding every so often.

Keep her quiet and warm.

janiceh

uk
Hi Yvonne, I was hoping you would answer. She has been on 20 ml fed and 5 ml water to clear.Vet wants to up this amount from once a day to twice a day and up temperature to 26-30 degrees. It seems a lot of fluid going in. I have no hope of getting her to eat with that much inside her.

The fluid is not by mouth but gastric tube.

Yes still continues with daily soaks.There is putty over wound.

She is swollen .Keeping daily weights. She is doing very small poo , She is passing urine.

Cleaning house, bedding and everything else in sight to keep her infection free. Am I missing anything ? or whats your opinion on amount being forced on her ? she is 9 inches and weighing in 2.381. they removed 0.2 gm ovarys . Pre surgery weight 2.4-thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think the vet realizes the the stomach isn't emptying fast. You really should follow his advice, but has he done much with a laporosopal tube in a tortoise? They have a very slow metabolism. And if the tortoise isn't pooping or peeing, I would slow down on putting any more into it Be sure to give the tortoise all the antibiotics that have been prescribed.