Big Bertha Doing Great

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
When she turns on and eats, she eats well.
When she turns off, like now, I can say that she won't eat ANYTHING.
Believe me. You won't think of a food item I haven't tried.
As long as she drinks. I'm not too worried about food. The X ray showed that she is still full and she weighed over a pound and a half more.
Hopefully after the antibiotics have been administered she will again eat. I've been told to NOT feed her until then.
Yeah Ed you're right, fluids are the most important at the moment.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello Ed. Tell me, how Bertha today? After having read your last post, I have a strong feeling she's slightly better. Right?

Appreciate an answer.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
She never got back to me.
She doesn't work every day.
Bertha is outside walking around. Today is an energy day for some reason.
She raises her but and wiggles her tail but she can't seem to poop. That could become yet another issue....
Also, I found a bandage that has stitches still attaching it to her neck and she reluctantly let me cut the stitches and remove them as well as the bandage. It looks good in that area.
I'm planning on letting her stay outside now only coming in to soak on my utility room sink.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
She raises her but and wiggles her tail but she can't seem to poop. That could become yet another issue....
Energy - good.
Other issue - oh dear.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Also, I found a bandage that has stitches still attaching it to her neck and she reluctantly let me cut the stitches and remove them as well as the bandage. It looks good in that area.
I'm planning on letting her stay outside now only coming in to soak on my utility room sink.
An 'up' day!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The energy is so strange. She will sit in one spot for hours and then take off at top speed....or not.
The spirit is still willing.
My Lola does that - stayed in one spot for over an hour on Saturday - I think he was in shock at seeing the sun.
It's those solar powered rechargeable batteries!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
No more tube. Clean water soaks will continue though she doesn't always drink.
Yes sorry about that Ed posted that before seeing the rest of yours. Thought you may have to keep the entry site dry.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's sounds mostly positive, I think.
i still have a heart attack every time I get an alert and see this thread's title.
Crikey.
Wifey is also following this thread and sends her love.
Tidgy would too, if she could.
Our love back to your family....

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes sorry about that Ed posted that before seeing the rest of yours. Thought you may have to keep the entry site dry.
It'll stay dry unless she is soaking. Her pen does not have a pool. Just a small water bowl.
However, the rain...

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If she'll let me, I'll try to dab some antibiotic ointment on the operation site.
Lift her up so she goes into fear of heights/skydiving position and sticks everything out - you may be able to nab her then.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
She DOES do that. Arms splayed out and jowls flapping in the wind.
Most of that any way.
Lola too! He also does it if slightly tipped forward -think someone posted it as a tip for getting them to stick their heads out for beak trimming.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi there, I was just going through some care sheets on line and found probiotic that's apparently being used in reptiles. Didn't read consumer reviews or anything but it made me think of your Bertha. The product is called IFlora, it is z professional grade probiotic sold by Carolina Pet Supply. In description it says it helps with GI upset, constipation and re-establishing gut flora. May be worth looking into

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hi there, I was just going through some care sheets on line and found probiotic that's apparently being used in reptiles. Didn't read consumer reviews or anything but it made me think of your Bertha. The product is called IFlora, it is z professional grade probiotic sold by Carolina Pet Supply. In description it says it helps with GI upset, constipation and re-establishing gut flora. May be worth looking into
Thanks. I'll check it out.
For every action I take there is a re action that requires another action....
Bertha spent the night out doors for the first time in a long while. Didn't eat. Didn't drink that I could tell and didn't poo. But she walked into her night house under her own power and looked alert.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Thanks. I'll check it out.
For every action I take there is a re action that requires another action....
Bertha spent the night out doors for the first time in a long while. Didn't eat. Didn't drink that I could tell and didn't poo. But she walked into her night house under her own power and looked alert.
In human medicine less food=less poo. I'd imagine it woks similar in tortoises. I have yet to figure out if and how to include links here using my iphone as I never have the time to be on line other than in bed or waiting rooms That iFlora (probiotic I mentioned last night) was pretty pricey (around 29$ or something) but the info said that little would go a long way, so I'm guessing it's probably powder similar to our calcium supplements. Also another thought about Bertha's food intake (or lack thereof). In human medicine after tube feeding diet is typically reintroduced gradually. Starts with clear, then full liquids, then puree, soft and regular. After bad illness it at times takes weeks for normal appetite to return. I'm wondering on those days when she just has no interest in food if you could entice her with pureed stuff? May even try dumping a jar of baby food in her bowl and see what she does. Or, throw some of her favorite green in a food processor or if you don't have one then blender, pour some liquid to and blend the heck out of stuff. I have to do this for one of my new babies who was probably shipped to me way to early (very small, egg tooth still there and yolk sac scar on his plastron looked pretty fresh)