Big Bertha Doing Great

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Yes. Exactly. Sometimes I don't articulate very well. Especially when under stress.
I was hoping for a pin point reason why she was so ill. Certainly not MILD pneumonia.
I gave her her second shot last night.
Thanks everyone. We'll all celebrate together if this ever ends.
Thank you for the update and still remember for both of you! ! !

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I've been wondering about her today but only just able to log in. No specific diagnosis but hopefully effective treatment. Your vet sounds great.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
The Antibiotics are not oral but injected into muscle.
The diagnosis was mildly elevated white blood count. The pneumonia was my wild guess.
It is pretty safe to assume the cause of illness is bacterial infection when white count is elevated. This empirical approach is often used in human medicine as well as being quick and cost effective. It has unfortunately been overused over past decades causing us to have to deal with "superbugs" these days. I think your vet is right in trying injectable broad spectrum antibiotic. Again, I'm only thinking from the human medicine point of view but I think that BASIC principles of medical science are similar if not this same.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
So far my guessing has been as accurate as the vets.....and cheaper too.
I truly hope that this general antibiotic is the mystery cure.
The injectable antibiotic was chosen over the oral because she wanted it to be fast acting. I'm not sure if she was concerned about wiping out the gut culture or not.
Not likely:) I don't think to many vets think along those lines, that's more of a human medicine holistic approach, but I think treating any living creature as "a whole" instead of just treating "a symptom" or symptoms might be of benefit. From your description Bertha sounded pretty sick. I'm glad to know she's showing signs of awareness of her surroundings. About probiotics... it would be interesting to know what if anything in tortoise diet/environment would help them rebuild their natural bacterial flora during and after round of antibiotics... I might look into that at some point, but not before I gain little "wind in my sails" in our baby tort care

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's my understanding that they eat poop to Jumpstart their gut load. This may not be true.
Today she has her head out looking around and she kicks her legs when I pick her up but she isn't walking very far. Inches.
Thanks for any and all suggestions.

RockChalk

Kansas City
Beneficial bacteria are often found all over the weeds from your garden, provided you haven't sprayed any chemicals to disrupt that environment. Lactobacillus, for example, is the beneficial strain for humans that is grown when vegetables like cabbage are fermented because they are naturally found on those types of vegetables.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
She drank while being soaked today and is more alert, still.
No other changes.
Hi Ed I know you've been here before but its still positive and a tiny step forwards rather than backwards. Thanks for letting us know. Hope you are OK

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Hey Ed, I've been following Big Bertha's saga since I joined the forum last week. It sounds like you at least have a lead on a cause now, which is good. It also sounds like you're seeing improvements, so there's hope! I'm keeping Bertha in my thoughts.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Yes. Exactly. Sometimes I don't articulate very well. Especially when under stress.
I was hoping for a pin point reason why she was so ill. Certainly not MILD pneumonia.
I gave her her second shot last night.
Thanks everyone. We'll all celebrate together if this ever ends.
Hi Ed. Keep up hope, please and once again: TRY to relax.

And let's hope this end soon and very soon.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Another update and NOT a good one. I heard her moving around. She was restless and when I picked her up I found that she had pulled out her tube. There is no bleeding. No smell of infection.
I can't get ahold of my vet until monday.....

Attachments

• 20150725_192511.jpg
    20150725_192511.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 43

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Another update and NOT a good one. I heard her moving around. She was restless and when I picked her up I found that she had pulled out her tube. There is no bleeding. No smell of infection.
I can't get ahold of my vet until monday.....
Jesus ed. Keep her clean around pipe hole.
Is she becoming active then?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Jesus ed. Keep her clean around pipe hole.
Is she becoming active then?
Active enough to declare war on the tube.
I saw her looking at it. I think it annoyed her.
I can't reach the entry area as it is deep into her shoulder area. She was anesthetized to place it.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Active enough to declare war on the tube.
I saw her looking at it. I think it annoyed her.
I can't reach the entry area as it is deep into her shoulder area. She was anesthetized to place it.
Your 1st sentence made me smile. She's coming back around by the looks of things.
Looking back now, do you think she has had pneumonia all along, and the first time she was getting over it without antibiotics, but with her burst of energy trying to get out of the tote it knocked her back to square one.