zoomed Natural grassland tortoise food

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
ZooMed grassland or forest pellets are excellent manufactured foods. Both are hay based, have a higher fiber percentage, lower protein percentage and much better calcium to phosphorus ratio than Mazuri and other pellet foods.

Andrea M

5 Year Member
Any tips on how to get your tortoise to eat them? Hokie isn't interested when they're just soaked, I've tried squeezing cucumber through the garlic press and rehydrating them with the juice but even though he'd do anything for cucumber he's still not that interested really

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Andrea M said:
Any tips on how to get your tortoise to eat them? Hokie isn't interested when they're just soaked, I've tried squeezing cucumber through the garlic press and rehydrating them with the juice but even though he'd do anything for cucumber he's still not that interested really

To get my pancake to eat it, I soak it in water and then sprinkle(the best way you can sprinkle mush) all over his food.

Tortoise boy

5 Year Member
texas
Andrea M said:

i Guess I'm lucky lol cause i just wet it down mushed it up and he went at it lol:D

Tortoise boy

5 Year Member
texas
GBtortoises said:
ZooMed grassland or forest pellets are excellent manufactured foods. Both are hay based, have a higher fiber percentage, lower protein percentage and much better calcium to phosphorus ratio than Mazuri and other pellet foods.

this is better than mazuri? cause i was gonna get that to.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Both are good to add to a varied diet. They are not meant to be fed alone. I feed both, mixed in with greens...

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I used it sometimes through the winter when I thought there wasn't enough fiber/grass in the diet. I just moistened it like when I use Mazuri and mine ate it. But then, mine eats almost anything :cool:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it legit? Its good food, but I don't know if its "legit"?

Redari

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Is it sort of the same as mazuri then? It's MUCH easier to find in Canada then mazuri....

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Personally, I think it is much higher quality than mazuri....but it definately isn't as readily accepted by tortoises as mazuri is...but if yours will eat it than that's great. Mine is finally taking a liking to it. Still want to try mazuri soon also. I would feel safer feeding the zoo med on a regular basis than mazuri since it has higher quality ingredients.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
No, the ingredients in the two are very different. The ingredients in the zoomed, in my opinion, are better quality. However, both are good in their own way. For example, if I'm dealing with an underweight tort, I'll supplement with mazuri because its a high calorie food. If I've got a constipated or compacted tort, I'll give it generous portions of zoomed because its a high fiber food.

Redari said:
Is it sort of the same as mazuri then? It's MUCH easier to find in Canada then mazuri....

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Both ZooMed Forest and Grassland are far better than Mazuri nutrionally. The ZooMed products can either be soaked and mixed in with greens or crushed up dry and mixed with food. The advantage to wetting it is that it breaks apart and will adhere to greens better than when dry.
Vendors on Ebay are selling both ZooMed tortoise products in larger quantity packaging too.

Tortoise boy

5 Year Member
texas
GBtortoises said:
Both ZooMed Forest and Grassland are far better than Mazuri nutrionally. The ZooMed products can either be soaked and mixed in with greens or crushed up dry and mixed with food. The advantage to wetting it is that it breaks apart and will adhere to greens better than when dry.
Vendors on Ebay are selling both ZooMed tortoise products in larger quantity packaging too.
ok thanks

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I used Zoo Med religiously a few years back...but it isn't really better than Mazuri...unless you wanna talk straight ingredients. But, even then, everything is freeze-dried (or dehydrated) and it's stuff you can get out of your yard to begin with! Like Mazuri, it'll need to be mixed with other food items to interest the torts in the first place!

Menno

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
What is your tortoise's size? I also have ZooMed food, but the mine don't like it.

Tortoise boy

5 Year Member
texas
Menno said:
What is your tortoise's size? I also have ZooMed food, but the mine don't like it.

idk idont measure him but i do have a video of him in a thread called sulfate tortoise eating flowers :D

Status
Not open for further replies.